Where to see Eagles in Mull

Hi I am visiting Fort William with my family next week and we are planning a day trip to Mull as we are all desperate to see an Eagle- either kind would be great (or ideally both but I know that’s greedy!) With the Mull Eagle watch not running this year, would anyone have any tips at all on where might be worth trying? I would prefer to look for ourselves rather than a guide if possible. Many thanks Blush 

• Loch na Keal. There's a clump of trees on the north side of the loch, not far from the camp site - and there's a reasonably sized parking spot nearby, usually occupied. Great spot for seeing the white-tailed eagles. For golden eagles there's a spot on the south side of the same loch, not far from the point where a wall starts running alongside the road. I hope you have a good day!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• From my past experience I think Clare's suggestions are good

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks very much for the tips I’ll definitely give it a go and let you know if I manage to see any. Blush
  • The only ones I saw were in the sky near Tobermory - which is a lovely place. It was memorable and I got a few shots, but not as memorable as locking my car cars in the boot when parked near Duart Castle!

• I'm assuming you're going to use the Lochaline to Fishnish crossing?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Billysdad said:

The only ones I saw were in the sky near Tobermory - which is a lovely place. It was memorable and I got a few shots, but not as memorable as locking my car cars in the boot when parked near Duart Castle!

Oh, yeah - there's a pair near Duart Castle, south of Craignure.  Stop in the little car park next to the graveyard on the left - turn to face the road and you'll see the sign on the fence about watching the eagles.

• I know the spot you mentioned, Claire, and have seen them from there - the car came to a screaming halt as one flew over head!  I there was a nest up the hill, and we saw then when they were heading out across the water.  We had a cottage last year, nearer Ulva, and wildlife boat trips usually attracted them - I assume they throw out fish to tempt them.  Some years ago there was an RSPB base on Loch Frisa where they nested.  Frisa and Skye. I don't know whether they are still there or not.  I think RSPB had another based on the road to Iona. A report by the BBC.  about Frisa's mum.  Dave Sexton was/is the RSPB man who watches them.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thank you all very much. Yes Claire we will be using the lochaline ferry. Really hope we get to see one Fingers crossed