Slimbridge Part One- Not The Collection

Mrs PB and myself had coincidental days off this week, so yesterday we elected on a re-visit to Slimbridge, as it was forecast dry, and sunny intervals. I took a lot of pictures, but have split them (as the title suggests) into "regular" birds, and the collection birds.... although there is an enclosed aviary, which I've split between the two posts.

I hope you're ready for lots of "Awwww"'s..... greeted by Greylag

The original ... step!

There were a good few corvids about.... These Rooks particularly unbothered by people

Think of the damage this could do!

The Eider's and Goldeneye appear to have bred, and I wasn't sure which thread to put them in...

Rising up from the depths

There were a few Swallows fizzing about

Quite a few Black Headed Gulls were about, and just the one Herring Gull

Jackdaws were numerous, and around the various picnic tables, fearless

AWWWWWWWwwwww.... Got to admit... the parents weren't keen on my being this close and started posturing, but to be fair....the chick walked to me, with no encouragement!!

High in a tree Mrs PB spotted the Whitethroat (at least I think that's what it was.... although I have an out of focus shot of it singing in flight, that has a white eyebrow....?

A shiny blue bug, sat atop a post, on the way to the aviary

Slimbridge call it a Waterscapes Aviary, and it houses UK waders of various sorts, but as it's enclosed I wasn't sure whether to include it here or not, so split it... 

Redshank... these flew about most often

Ruff

Avocets

Since I was a kid, having seen a picture of a Ruff in breeding plumage in my Observer Book of British Birds, I didn't believe they were real.... wrong!!

Not sure what sort of fly/bee this is, but I didn't notice it's eyes (even when it had landed on me) until I saw the photo

Oooooh....I need a wee

There were a group of 4 Little Egret, that remained aloof, just sitting on the top of the entrance hut

And for a change, we were in the cage looking out

Vigorous pollen gathering going on!

From one of the hides, a duckling was bobbing away

High up a tree, a Chiffchaff was boring everyone silly with it's constant "song"

And on a sign, a possible Cardinal Beetle

Variable Damselfly

I think a Blue Tailed Damselfly

Some Swallow inaction

Eagle-eyed Mrs PB then spotted a dragon...... A Black Tailed Skimmer

I spotted another Blue Tailed Damsel

And then, awww

One of the parents then indulged in a massively splashy wash, including a barrel roll.... twice..... but I had my big lens on and I was too close.... then a multiple AWWW-gasm JoyOpen mouth

Moving on toward the "Summer Walkway" I spotted a Speckled Wood

And a pair of damsels, making more damsels... Common Blue, I think

One of the "non-aviaried" Avocets

A pair of Wrens were in close proximity to one another

And a nesting Avocet has her sentinel

I had hoped to see more butterflies along the Summer Walkway, but it was one of those frustrating days when the sun didn't shine for any long period of time, but I did spot what I think is a Large Skipper

And a green aphid-y thing

I heard a sweet song, and I tracked it to a not dunnock, not singing, not up a tree

On my way back to the car I spotted the Skipper again, this time closer

And arriving back at the car park.... Pied Waggie :o)

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed part one of the Slimbridge visit.

As always, any ID corrections gratefully received.... Part two will probably need more!!

Stay Safe All

• Some brilliant photos there PB, and good that you got to Slimbridge, a place I've yet to revisit, after too many years since my one and only visit.

Those youngsters are good contenders for the Young of 2022 thread, and those swallows, they're just gorgeous.

Many thanks for sharing

• fabulous set PB and once again you don't disappoint with these species and photos .;) !! That Ruff in breeding plumage is magnificent and as you say you would never believe it could be as spectacular as that compared to non-breeding plumage. Definitely the Awww factor big time with all the new goslings and ducklings and its good to see the warblers, dabblers/divers and close up of the Rook with that fearsome bill. !! Great set, thanks PB.

Regards, Hazel 

• What a lovely set of photos, many different birds and beasties, look forward to the next set, thanks for sharing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi PB,
    A wonderfully varied and enjoyable post. I'm particularly impressed with the Ruff, we've seen a few locally but only ever in their winter coats. We've got a trip to the Slimbridge area coming up in September, thanks for a taster of what we might see.
    Trevor
  • Wow PB you never fail to surprise us all with your mass of variety of wildlife and excellent photos, great to see and heading now to part two.
  • Thanks all

Mike...added various pics to various other threads :o)

Hazel...you're making me blush Hugging

• CL... I'm glad I don't shoot on film with all the different species, I dread to think how much it would cost looking at the ones that don't make the posts!

Trevor... If it's viable I'd possibly be tempted to leave it a while later than September, because they have a massive influx of migratory birds, (similar I imagine to Welney) but having said that we had a fab time, and the only disappointment was not seeing the Cranes (plus chicks this time) :o)

This Link has seasonal highlights and recent sightings, on the same page, conveniently :o)

Thanks ILR, I'm glad you enjoy the meanderings! :o)

• Another good read and viewing of your day out PB, it is so enjoyable sitting here looking and reading your post without having to lift a finger to worry about settings, weather and 'will my back hold out' , I can be an armchair birder, especially with all the various species you post for us to see.

Lot to learn

• These are gorgeous! Thanks especially for the corvids :D