The Young of 2022 share your photos here

Tried to find a thread for this years young so if there is one please point me in the right direction and I'll delete this one !        Last years thread for 2021 HERE

The Moorhen pair on our water garden now have hatchlings !

and just taken to the water for first time - or three of them did             Difficult to get photos as I had to lean right over the balcony 3 floors up. !!  

and one unhatched egg ....

both parents doing a sterling job 

Regards, Hazel 

• i love robins said:
    Nice ducks Mike

They were, and incredibly tame, but I guess they're more than used to the public feeding them.

The adults weren't pushy, though one did gently move one duckling away to allow the other two to get a feed, but other than that, it was all very civilised, the adults staying back and observing.

• A bit of an oversight, a pre-Scotland photo of fledgling house sparrows enjoying a bath.....

• On my first visit to Loch Garten, there is also a pair of white tailed eagles successfully nesting, though there is no webcam for them. On the first day, one chick was trying, unsuccessfully, to stand. Here is a photo of the nest taken from the large screened monitor, so it will be a bit blurry.

BTW, the camera settings were based on the old cathode ray tube TV screens, which had a refresh rate of around 1/60 second, so the shutter speed was set to 1/50 to avoid wide horizontal bars forming on the photo. I've no idea what the refresh rates are for LED screens and the situation wasn't really ideal to experiment any further.

Sadly, with the visitor centre getting busy I never managed to get a photo of the WTE chick standing on the following day, but it was still a worthwhile visit nonetheless....

• A couple of a young Highland Calf, while in Scotland

And these wee guys wandering across Tissington Village Green (while visiting Tissington Well Dressing) to the Village Pond and join their elders....

• What a handsome highland calf, looks like a teddybear. lol. Great photos Mike.

Regards, Hazel 

• The highland calf are fine specimens Mike great photos

• The Highland calf has my vote too, such sturdy animals.

Lot to learn

• Post edit:     Having second thoughts after seeing the yellow feet;   is this a juvenile goldcrest ?    seemed a little larger than goldcrest but the yellow feet are throwing me and the round eyes.   !

Thought the day was going to start on a sad note when a juvenile chaffinch (now thinking goldcrest ?) flew into the balcony window and was concussed;   fortunately I saw it happen so following best course of action I gently picked it up and immediately placed it in one of the outside balcony planters and then withdrew to see if could recover.   To be honest it didn't look good with eyes closed and head tilting slightly backwards, however,  after what must have been a good half an hour it opened its eyes and after another ten minutes jumped up on to the side of the planter, fluffed its feathers and took off. -  I was so very relieved for this gorgeous little bird.    Hopefully this little goldcrest youngster is back with the flock.        Always advisable to leave any concussed bird outside but in a safe, quiet place (hanging baskets are ideal especially if they have foliage to conceal the bird until they come round) and not to bring them inside immediately which is what a lot of well intentioned people tend to do;   being outside in its natural environment as long as it is safe from would be predators has always brought good results in most cases as it gives the bird time to reorientate itself so it can take off in its own time.  

Photo of the juvenile  just ten minutes before it was able to take off.

Regards, Hazel