Odds & Sods 2022

It's probably an ideal time to start the 2022 Odds & Sods thread off, with some squabbling starlings....

To view the 2021 thread, click HERE

This pair of starlings were having a right old go at each other, whilst another nipped in to the coconut shell for a food

• Not sure if I posted the hedgehog photo or not, from a few mornings back, so here it is, with an apology if I've already done so.

This is the first flash photo using the new R5

• Don't think you have posted it Mike. If you did I missed it. Nice one ... Thumbsup

• Who would think a young Moorhen would take on the mallards;    they are quite feisty little swamp hens so must get their fighting skills from the coots  lol 

poor mallard was minding its own business and the moor-chick was having none of it prepared to take on two at a time.  LOL

couldn't get them all in the frame as had 300 x 2 on the camera.....

the nowty little moorhen flew back into the pond once it had shooed the mallards away.  !!

Regards, Hazel 

• I collected a few Beech nuts down the woods yesterday, then when I got back I googled what eats them ... I am now waiting for Brown Bears, White Tailed Deer & Chipmunks! I split one open as it said they were very healthy for human consumption ... it was empty! So I took a few macro shots instead. This one is 25 shots focus stacked, using the 90D Focus bracketing feature. Then Stacked and Blended in Photoshop. Quite good fun. Passed an hour or so :-)

• As I'm learning about macro, BD, I know the principal of focus stacking...can you post the first and last ones please so I can see practicality in action :o) And I guess you camera was on a tripod?
  • Great result BD and worth the effort

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi PB, I have posted as you asked, the first and last photos. Yes I did use a tripod. I set the aperture to F/5.6 then focused on the closest point using live view, and set the focus bracketing to take 25 shots - each one automaticaly focusing slightly further back, in very small increments. I also set the self timer to 10 seconds, but probably 2 seconds would have done - just to avoid any camera shake when pressing the shutter button After shooting I transfered to Photoshop to stack and blend, then added a bit of sharpening and adjusted the colour of the green baize, which now seemed to have a blue cast.

• Thanks BD, I'll have proper look on the big screen in the morning SmileyThumbsup
  • I think it's amazing that lenses can focus that accurately, that many different times, in such a small depth of field. Thanks again BD.... something for me to aim for :o)
  • Billysdad said:

Hi PB, I have posted as you asked, the first and last photos. Yes I did use a tripod. I set the aperture to F/5.6 then focused on the closest point using live view, and set the focus bracketing to take 25 shots - each one automaticaly focusing slightly further back, in very small increments. I also set the self timer to 10 seconds, but probably 2 seconds would have done - just to avoid any camera shake when pressing the shutter button After shooting I transfered to Photoshop to stack and blend, then added a bit of sharpening and adjusted the colour of the green baize, which now seemed to have a blue cast.

I'm guessing a fairly slow shutter speed was used if there was a risk of camera shake.

I'm not sure if you have one or not, but a remote shutter release cable would be of great advantage to prevent camera shake when using a tripod, and something I use a lot when using a tripod, no matter how fast or slow the shutter speed is.

Also, for a good many cameras today, have smartphone apps that permit low shutter speed photography without camera shake, and often, a clearer view of the subject.