Odds & Sods 2022

It's probably an ideal time to start the 2022 Odds & Sods thread off, with some squabbling starlings....

To view the 2021 thread, click HERE

This pair of starlings were having a right old go at each other, whilst another nipped in to the coconut shell for a food

• Definitely very pretty and well captured!
  • Thanks, all.

Here another feature I noticed on my stomp. I've not seen these before, except for a documentary, and even then it was a spinning ice disc in a frozen river.

Note the circular features on the ice. I'm actually standing on the edge of the infill - inert material being bulldozed into lake. It's about 10 to 14 feet high. The lake in the foreground will be filled to form reed beds and shallow wetlands.  This has already happened to the lake in the middle background. The lake itself has been partially drained, to make it safer for the bulldozer, digger and tipper truck operators to work in the area.

Here's a close up.  A couple of documentaries I've watched, have shown discs of ice, quite large, spinning in a frozen river. They were caused by currents, setting up a stationary eddy (effective a whirlpool) causing any ice to spin.

I'm wondering if a similar mechanism is at work here? Fish or wildfowl could possibly set up eddies, which although reasonably weak and transient, could be sufficient to cause a thicker layer of frost and/or snow to form.

The discs come in all sizes. Another thought was that eddies might be set up by a flow of water caused by a pump draining the lake. The photo above does show a 'channel' cutting through the group of circles.

A third thought is that the cause is the manner in which areas of snow/ice defrost. Nature takes the route of least energy, in this case a circle. With repeated freeze thaw, it could be possible for an edge to form.

I appreciate you have no real indication of scale, but this sort of conveys the depth of infill.

The bulldozer and digger operators are highly skilled.

What is particularly fascinating is that wildlife is unfazed by the heavy plant (i.e. bulldozers, diggers, lorries, etc) trundling about the site. I've seen Lapwing, Canada Geese, Green Sandpipers, etc) standing, feeding or nesting feet from moving vehicles. Roe deer happily graze. However, the moment a human appears, they all take off.

These two just gave me a dirty look. Wearing a hi-vis vest might have put them at ease, as operators/drivers and site visitors do so, and leave them alone.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Grub-up ... Well rather, Hovis seeded batch loaf - up ... Relaxed

• Up in the local Peak District yesterday to try out my first "proper" camera. Lots to learn but a lovely place to learn it.

• Amazing set of photos. I hope you enjoy your camera Slight smile
  • Wow!! What beautiful pictures! I don't think it's all the new camera.... you have caught these images perfectly! To get the right moment when the deer are running, and catching the piece of fruit before it's swallowed, that takes skill - well done!! If that's your practice run, then I can't wait to see what you capture once you're used to it
  • Another of your fab sets Bob, how are you finding the camera? (and don't say looking in the boot of the car and there it is!! Grinning) The light looked lovely too. As always, thanks for sharing Smile

• Stunning photos Bob, the Dipper is delightful. There is a lot of folklore wrapped up around a White Hind, hope she stays safe

Cin J

• Those are amazing Bob! I think the first one is the overall favourite, but they are all wonderful. It reminds me of the gunfighter line up in The Magnificent Seven. I can imagine them saying, 'You don't want to mess with us'. Such a powerful shot. Could I ask whereabouts in the Peak District you took them. A popular place according to the internet is Curbar Edge - where I have never been. I am going to Buxton on Saturday and was thinking of visiting Lyme Park to see their deer on the way - weather permitting, but I will have some time on Christmas Day to go playing out ... Relaxed

• Thank you Kathy. All the very best to you an Dave too ... Santa

Hope Santa brings you something nice. Remember the saying ... 'If you don't believe, you won't receive' ... Slight smile