WWT Welney... The Third Day

So, Tuesday, an arranged meeting with one of the wardens, at 8:30, so 90 minutes before the official opening time. We didn't know what to expect. It turned out that they were just starting to get the swans (in particular), ducks etc used to the feeding ritual (as seen on BBC Winterwatch etc). It was only the 2nd day of "training", so as he predicted, all the birds buggered off as soon as he went out there with the barrow of feed. It didn't take long for them to return, and with his scope he pointed out one or two individuals, that unfortunately I didn't manage to snap. He also said of one of the Whoopers that is resident (because of a damaged wing), and breeds here, which I have snapped later on... anyhow, enough preamble, to the birds.... Slightly distant Cattle Egret

A pair of incoming Wigeon

Ohhh, whilst I think, I did mention in Welney 2 that this could be packed with pics....well it is...so hopefully you're sitting comfortably, with a beverage and some snacks!

"Braaaaake"

The warden said that the swans all greet each other daily, and I saw these, and thought "Well, what polite children"

An idea of the distances you can see here, as Whoopers come in over Lapwing, Wigeon and Teal

One of the magnificent Whooper's caught in the early morning sunshine

More Whoopers with distant wind turbines. I think the count was over a thousand of the swans, no idea how many wind turbines!

The first of a good few Lapwing clouds, they appeared more skittish than the Godwits, and flew higher when they all went up together (which is a magnificent spectacle that a camera can't do justice to)

A question often asked is "How does a swan take off?"..... Simple, they walk on water!!

I think a Muddle of Godwits seems appropriate when they're thinking of flocking off...

I reckon there were more Greylag than Whoopers at the moment, but still lovely to watch

And as with so many birds, no matter the body position, the heads and eyes stay horizontal!

Lovely Mrs Mally

A Godwit cloud this time, front to back and back to front!

I think this is the trip with the least photo cropping I've had to do, and wishing I'd put the smaller lens on to get all the birds in!

But, had I done that, the Great White Egret would be but a speck!

A serene family of Whoopers paddled towards the Observatory, into the gorgeous light

Interspersed with cross flying Canada Geese

There were a couple of Barnacle Geese among the main Canada flock but we didn't see the main flock, nor the Barnacles, unfortunately.

As you know, I can't go to a watery place without one of my old mates turning up....

Mrs Wigeon

And Mrs Mally, both looking lovely

And Mr Teal looking distant!!

Now, something I'd never seen, nor even considered.... Mallard territorial disputes...there were several that rumbled on, and looked quite vicious!

Another Canada fly-by

And the only half decent Shoveler shot I got

There's something quite regal about the Whoopers (First time I'd seen them by the way, in case you hadn't guessed!!)

Some beautiful Pochard

Aww blessssss

There were a few Moorhen about (including 2 adult and 2 juveniles that fed under the feeders by the visitor centre!)

Hmmm.. I've heard of nibbling the back of the neck, but not whilst holding your lady underwater!!

I'm guessing the swan on the left is the resident one (with the damaged wing)

Another Godwit cloud!

And so this is the last photo from in our own private Observation Centre!

I don't think I'd noticed blue feathers on Canada Geese before, and they only show in these 2 of ten pictures taken

Reinforcements for the Greylag fleet

And the damaged Whooper, with a ringed bird, which from what I've since discovered was ringed in Russia

Another territory scrap, just kicking off

Marsh harrier, but not yesterdays!

After consulting here, a juvenile/male Marsh Harrier (Thanks Pete and RSPBailey for ID) playing peek-a-boo with a pair of swans.... I didn't even see it in the shot when I clicked!

A magnificent Buzzard sat alongside the path....and I think he makes another appearance shortly!

Such a treat seeing Kestrels regularly

From the hide we could see a Great White Egret hunting... not sure what he's got there

Return of the Buzzard... what a bird!

The Egret gained a stalker

"I AM taller than you"

More Greylag!

Both Marsh harriers (neither of which was playing Peek-a-Boo, I don't think)

A gull, of sorts, but don't recognise tail or wing pattern?

More Harrier action!

As we headed back to grab some lunch we came across another of the Lawnmowers...or should that be Lawnmoo-er??

And a final pair of Whoopers!

All in all a wonderful stay in a wonderful part of the country (we'll use Clare and Mikes tips in the other thread for another trip to East Anglia hopefully early next year)

Thanks for ploughing through, and making it to the end. I've no more holiday until after Christmas, so there'll be no more monster posts, unless a day off coincides with fab weather!!

Thanks for any ID's or corrections that are forthcoming.

Stay Safe All