Large grey wading bird.

So I was driving to Southampton from Portsmouth and about half way I saw a very large black/dark grey bird in a field which I initially thought was a cormorant but it then stood up and it was about the size of a heron if not larger and had none of the markings a heron has and had the same stretchable gullet as a cormorant whilst being twice the size. I searched and it is possible it was black heron but I’ve never seen one of those before. It was very tall with a very long neck definitely not a cormorant. 

anyone got any ideas?

Cheers 

• My guess is that it's a young grey heron.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Could it have been a Purple Heron, rare but some sightings each year?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Glossy Ibis is another possibility perhaps as it can be found on field areas ?

Regards, Hazel 

• FionnCassidy said:
    It was very tall with a very long neck definitely not a cormorant. 

A giraffe? Laughing

As experienced birders say to me, start with what it's most likely to be, and then rule that out before moving on to the less likely. A grey wading bird the size of a heron, sounds like a heron to me. Also, if you were driving, how good a look to distinguish details did you get?

• Size is difficult to judge at any time unless you have something close to compare it with and even harder when on the move. My suggestion would be a Juvenile Grey Heron which do lack the markings of adult birds and often their flumage can seem darker.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I must admit I was pretty scepical when I read this because the chances of it being something unusual is low. However, with birds never say never.

I had a look at the Hampshire Going Birding website and what did a I find : a Purple Heron being reported at Blashford Lakes Nature Reserve 

Now admittedly, this is some way west of Southampton but could this have been what Fionn saw. The dates kind of fit. Having said that a Grey Heron was reported from Warsash Water Meadows which is about half way between Portsmouth and Southamton but I've no idea wheth it's visible form the road. 

I'll add a photo of a Purple Heron taken in Lesvos many years ago so that Fionn can compare with what she saw.

Having said all that a juvenile Grey Heron is more likely but you never know...............

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Wow, well done TJ, and Wendy too, I'd take that as a spectacular sighting Fionn, a Purple Heron that most of us have heard of but never seen!! Very well done and fabulous photo TJ.

Lot to learn

• As Dave says, good research and call Tony and Wendy; lovely photo too Tony. I've been lucky enough to see a Purple Heron at Leighton Moss a few years ago which was a juvenile bird so hope to see one again in the future as more rarities are seen in UK. Won't be long before Bee-eaters will be visiting UK gardens !

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Won't be long before Bee-eaters will be visiting UK gardens

Unless the bee's all die out because of destruction of habitat. And on that cheery note....Slight frown