Bold Robin

There is a Robin that regularly appears whenever I'm near my workshop where I fill the bird feeders and every now and then it takes a mealworm from the hand. This morning I managed some photos of the Robin taking a mealworm from my wife's hand The pictures are a bit grainy as it was early and the light was not good so had to use a very high ISO to get the shutter speed up high enough but pleased with the results none the less.

• great sequence and photos Trevor, love the way it is just risking one foot landing on your hand although I'm sure with a bit more practice and mealworms on offer it will become very comfortable with landing on your hand; when we were visiting Leighton Moss I nicknamed a bold robin FMR (Four Minute Robin) as he was so at home resting on your hand whilst it filled itself on live mealworms ....... it really should have been called Four Minute and 42 second robin as the more it came to hand the braver he got. !! Gotta love these confiding birds. I wonder if he is still around, been 15 months since I last saw it.

Regards, Hazel 

• It's a wonderful experience isn't it? See if you can get live mealworms. If your Robin has a mate and they nest, there is every chance their youngsters will find their way to your garden too.

Try https://www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk/

Good luck

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• I'll definitely try the live mealworms. Thank you
  • TJS said:
    I'll definitely try the live mealworms. Thank you

Or live wax worms when it comes to breeding season

• Great set of pics TJS, just received new supply of waxworms as I saw two Robins in garden yesterday ... I put them in a shallow glass dish on front doorstep away & round corner from feeders, Robin soon cottons on & other birds don't realise they are there ... tried many times last year to get Robin to hand feed but he just sat on flower pot right beside me til I put the dish down ... then scoffed some whilst I stood watching & took rest back to nest! Lovely little birds!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Lovely photos and definitely one of the most curious and confiding birds ... especially where food is concerned!

Nige   Flickr

• Great sequence of photos TJS, the Robin is a star on this Forum with MC taking many photos of Robins visiting his garden over the years, and we learnt how tame and feisty these little birds are. I am lucky enough also to have one visiting, he is five years old this Spring and visits most days, even brought a youngster last year.

Lot to learn

• Thanks monkeycheese,

I got some live meal worms and the Robin loves them.

I'll let the pictures below speak for themselves.

It made three visits to get all the meal worms.

Trevor

• He will be waiting at your kitchen door every morning

• Aw just lovely Jez you are so lucky, not envious or jealous at all!!PensiveBlush

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.