Butterflies & Moths 2021

Well it's time to start a new thread for this year. I saw my 1st Red Admiral of the year yesterday & have had a couple of moths in the house & in the trap overnight.

The house moths come out of the firewood (I think), Ive had 3 around the computer this month, I just keep putting them back out Mompha subbistrigella

Photo taken of it in the plastic pot before I threw it out.

Then in the trap a couple of moths, Eudonia angustea, always around in the winter,

& this one which is several weeks early, not sure why, Orthosia incerta "Clouded Drab Moth"

Last years thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/206393/butterflies-moths-2020  for those that want to have a bit of bedtime reading.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Can't 'like' that Caroline!! Did you have any spare bulbs?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Luckily yes, un-happily the blue light was new - I've only used it once. About to order some spares

Cin J

• Such bad luck Caroline, I had one which became completely detached from screw fitting during a journey to mothing site, that was new too ... not a cheap item!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Oh dear, these things happen! I ordered a couple of my 12V bulbs lately as one of mine stopped working, a bit annoying but it had been used for about 4 years.
    My traps have been very good generally, we had a few warm nights when I trapped every night, either at home or in places where I dropped it off early before the curfew & went back in the morning. I'm really fed up though as they are going to continue the curfew until the end of May. There are so many places I want to go & the number of years left to do so are going down fast..........

Best wishes

• CinJ, Sorry to hear about your bulb but unfortunately these things happen.

Hazel, Hope your curfew ends sooner than the end of May--what a pain when you are itching to get out.

Praying for good weather for all of us--sunshine in the daytimes and a bit of rain in between lovely days and before the moth lights are put out, a bit like the proverbial Camelot, but not raining through the whole night since you want to collect a few moths!

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Hazel, Hope your curfew ends sooner than the end of May--what a pain when you are itching to get out.

It's even worse, going on until the end of June!! They are starting it later in the evening, but that won't help me at all. It's soooo sad.

Best wishes

• Oh dear Hazel, that's a shame, Maybe if the virus situation improves they will change the rules--fingers crossed.

Kind regards, Ann

• The great news is that I emailed our local bird group to see if they could get an exemption for the moth group to go out trapping during the curfew, & they came back & said they can get one from the authorities (we all work together). So fingers crossed, I should get a piece of paper soon to allow me out at night. WOW! All my fellow trappers are delighted too. France exists on pieces of paper giving exceptions (derogations), for once it's worked in my favour. I can't wait.

Best wishes

• I was released from isolation today after my UK trip (10 days at home + 3 negative PCR)  so the Bear and I went to one of our favourite sites so he could have a swim and I could survey 

Pristine Brown Argus

Very tatty Small Tortie

Small Copper

Also had lizards and Shelducks and Egrets.  A good day 

Cin J

• Can we have a photo of your "Bear" too, he's so lovely he deserves a thread of his own.

Best wishes