Odds & Sods 2021

Time to start this year's thread of odds and sods    (Last year's Odds & Sods HERE

Today a large flock of 40 or so Redwings descended on the fields around our local parkland and although they were pretty skittish and distant I hard cropped a few pics for you ....

and a blue tit landed nearby  !   

Regards, Hazel 

• Glad you kept on driving Paul! We had a very long cold spell a few years ago & many woodcocks flew to the coastal areas from inland. There were dozens of them pecking at the sides of the road and in peoples gardens, unfortunately a lot died of cold & hunger.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• What a beauty Hazel and must have been fabulous to see; @ Paul, a real treat to have the Woodcock fly alongside for so far and well done for keeping the car on course !!

Regards, Hazel 

• That's a very special bird to see, Hazel. I remember seeing my first one many years ago on the outskirts of a town called El Rocio in southern Spain. What was so magical about it was that it hovered rather like a Kestrel. I've seen them a few times since but never managed to get a photo so well done on getting these shots.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In december we had reports of a night-time roost not far from our home. I went out there & at dusk, almost dark, there were 35 + crowded into a couple of small trees. Amazing. I can't get back to see them now due to curfew regs. It is a worry though that the numbers have risen from 2 to 35 & about 3 years. I am worried about our local kestrels, will there be enough food to go around.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Much nicer day today with mild conditions and sunshine so headed out on a 5 mile local circular walk.    

It's not every day you see a leopard doing the Sudoku and cryptic crossword as he waits for the village bus   LOL

but this wise fellow had long since completed this mornings puzzles  .................

and signage in place for start of today's new additional vaccine hub where I will be going on Wednesday morning :)   ......

Regards, Hazel 

• Wonderful, Hazel, but I must admit I've never seen a leopard doing the crossword--you have some fascinating neighbours!

Kind regards, Ann

• WHY ... I mean why is there a leopard in the bus stop, regardless of whether its doing sudoku or not???
    PS anyone who says "waiting for the bus" will be advised to seek help!

Nige   Flickr

• Nigel, I thought I wouldn't bring that up but I did wonder. I did also wonder why someone has not nicked it--it seems friendly enough and I imagine someone might think it would be nice to take home with them. On the other hand, where do we go from here (shhhh, don't mention this to anyone!) if it is actually Hazel's leopard?! Was she waiting for the bus with it? If so, where were they headed? And why is the leopard not wearing a mask? And where is Mike? The questions continue to arise...

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    if it is actually Hazel's leopard?! Was she waiting for the bus with it? If so, where were they headed? And why is the leopard not wearing a mask? And where is Mike? The questions continue to arise...

LOL  Ann and Nige !     No, it wasn't my leopard and it definitely wasn't a cheetah or it would have already looked up the answers to the crossword and sudoku ;)     

Don't know where it came from or who put it there but we (yes, Mike spotted it too so I'm not quite hazy-crazy yet ! )  Personally,  I think the Owl put it there  :) :) ;)   and we didn't use a bus to get our 14,000 steps in yesterday but we did call in at the "office" cafe on the parkland for a late bacon and sausage bap ........ all the hard work undone again    LOL       

You do realise this post could end up like Cyril the squirrel on his travels ..............where will the leopard end up next ?????     

Regards, Hazel 

• I'm wondering which vaccine the leopard got,it must have been a long queue if he had time to finish the crossword.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can