Odds & Sods 2021

Time to start this year's thread of odds and sods    (Last year's Odds & Sods HERE

Today a large flock of 40 or so Redwings descended on the fields around our local parkland and although they were pretty skittish and distant I hard cropped a few pics for you ....

and a blue tit landed nearby  !   

Regards, Hazel 

• Though all feeders are currently removed, the foxes still visit the garden and the first hedgehog sighting since just before the feeders were removed, was this wee thing, most likley one of this years young, visiting the garden and captured on the gardencam.

• Nice to see the hedgie so active Mike,

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    Nice to see the hedgie so active Mike,

It is, and a youngster too, so a blood line will be continuing, I hope.

No more sightings since, so hopefully nicely tucked up for the winter, and not under someone's bonfire, to visit us again next year.

• I hate bonfire night, here we have very little disturbance, but I talk to my sis-in-law in Macclesfield who has fireworks two weeks or more before the date and also another two weeks afterwards. It would drive me mad. Luckily Sue, my dog, can't hear the bangs any more but I have always hated the noise and pitied the animals that live outdoors,

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    I hate bonfire night, here we have very little disturbance, but I talk to my sis-in-law in Macclesfield who has fireworks two weeks or more before the date and also another two weeks afterwards. It would drive me mad. Luckily Sue, my dog, can't hear the bangs any more but I have always hated the noise and pitied the animals that live outdoors,

couldn't agree more Gaynor and we're not far from your sis-in-law and have already heard fireworks although they could also be for wedding or other celebrations.      I think its about time (and not wanting to be a killjoy on a long standing tradition)  that fireworks were outlawed.   I don't even agree with the new year city displays as I'd prefer the costs of this (even if some of the cost is clawed back through ticket sales)      could be otherwise channelled into the NHS or other good cause.    I'm sure we can all live without this one outdated tradition.       I can't help but worry about the wildlife and domestic pets that are suddenly awoken in alarm by the loud bangs and lighting which can go on for some time and days.     I know many would say thunder/lighting is similar but when noise/light disturbance is deliberately introduced it is totally unnecessary and only adding to air pollution including the cardboard remnants of thee explosives.      With natural events like thunder/lightening wildlife get a pre-warning of this with changes in air pressure and many animals can sense the onset of a thunderstorm unlike fireworks that are suddenly triggered.      Ok, time to get down of my soap-box   LOL        

Regards, Hazel 

• I am dreading it, Erik struggles so badly and although I am rural - it's Jersey so nobody is that far away. the policy is curtains drawn - music choices are light classical, queen or reggae and Cbd oil. We keep trying to get them banned but no success so far :(

Cin J

• I'm not a fan of bonfire night, fireworks and another scourge, Chinese lanterns, especially after getting my hair singed from one a good few years ago.

Thankfully in the immediate area I live in, bonfires are exceptionally few and far between, though I can't say the same for fireworks, which seem to occur at every possible occasion.

• Thanks Wendy, maybe the National Day would be better celebrated with a day long holiday climbing and eating good food, but please leave out the fireworks, keep the air clean and the birds safe.

Lot to learn

• It is raining cats and dogs so I had to wade out and see the return of the egrets

Lot to learn

• How lovely to see the egrets in numbers Gaynor, well worth getting soaked for on our behalf ! and thanks for the photo, always good to see your local wildlife !!

Regards, Hazel