Odds & Sods 2021

Time to start this year's thread of odds and sods    (Last year's Odds & Sods HERE

Today a large flock of 40 or so Redwings descended on the fields around our local parkland and although they were pretty skittish and distant I hard cropped a few pics for you ....

and a blue tit landed nearby  !   

Regards, Hazel 

• Glorious Siskins amongst everyone else.
    PS if you don't know, Cetti's are notorious amongst birders. Very easily heard .(they are LOUD) .. but amazingly difficult to lay eyes on even when you can hear them calling from the bushes!

Nige   Flickr

• Thanks Nige, am still a very youngish birder so got lots to learn lol..always taking notes though Wink

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Yes Nigel, I remember hearing one over in Cors Ddyga but we couldn't find it for a photo, that is a fabulous shot of yours, no wonder you were happy.

Good to see your sunshine and birds too Linda, we have had nice weather again today, not as warm though with the wind changing back to the north, brrrr;

Lot to learn

• Everyone starts somewhere, Linda--don't worry at all about being a relatively new birder, and luckily for the likes of us, the experienced folk here are friendly and helpful! Think it was only two or three years ago that we heard our first Cetti's, and we have yet to get a great view of one of the noisy, little lurkers! We've only had brief glimpses.
    Think it was at RSPB Newport Wetlands in south Wales where we first heard one, and although he was only a few metres off the main path to the front door of the visitor centre, we never saw that one at all.

Kind regards, Ann

• Aww thanks Ann, yes you are all so helpful and friendly and very knowledgeable.
    I will need to go have a listen to see what they sound like and I shall seek one out hopefully...one day lol

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• April 1st is the start of Butterfly monitoring season, as usual I always try to get 1 site donjon the first day weather permitting and permit it did.  21.5 degrees, hardly a breath of wind and glorious sunshine. Only 1 peacock but quite a few other flying and scurrying things about including the 1st Bee Fly that I have knowingly seen, a warbler that may or may not have been a chaffwillow - it didn't offer to sing and my photo is destined to 'Bad" thread and this handsome chap who I was able to observe for a good 5 minutes before my walking companion stared to whine.  I don't think I've seen one quite so early in the year before. His throat is just starting to color up.  

Cin J

• Wow, you did well to spot him Cin! Lovely. I keep looking when I'm going round Arne, as they "allegedly" have all species of UK reptile.... I've never seen one lol
  • Took me a while to spot him, very well camo'd!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Lovely spot - never managed to find one.

Nige   Flickr

• The area I walk is particularly good for Western Green - normally I hear a scuttle and see a tail tip disappear but occasionally I get lucky.

Cin J