Tatton Park update 23rd Sept.

Before the weather changes and temperatures drop we decided to head to Tatton Park for a walk;    rutting season is only just getting underway and although I got a few pics of red deer, I didn't get the stags as they were either too far away or they were laying down in close proximity but under the dark shade of the trees !      Wasn't as sunny as promised either with grey sky mostly but I managed to take a few pics.

Apart from this, I didn't bother taking any other shots of the stags with it being too shady .....it was fairly warm at 20 degrees 

why do they always stick their tongues out to anyone holding a camera   lol  !! 

Hello beautiful  !      cute youngster peeking out from around the tree stump 

social distancing during rutting season seemed to go out the window  !!      good job the stag was placid,   looked like it was one of the gang.

You have to be careful if you walk through the long marsh grass although these were either female or youngsters ....... 

the rutting hasn't really begun in earnest yet - only heard one very distant bellow so the next few weeks will get more interesting

It is rare they lift their head up as they are constantly grazing !      waited ten minutes and gave up    lol      (taken with 400mm and 1.4 x)

On the mere's there were lots of tufted ducks, common pochard, cormorants, canada geese, GH.Gulls and a few mute Swans;   most were too distant for photos and the sky was very grey overhead.      

I saw what I assumed was a single Little Grebe;    I was wondering why I didn't see, even on juvenile or post breeding season,  any sign of pale gape on base of bill.    Just need this confirming as I thought all L.Grebes had at least a hint of pale at the base of their bill  ?

It's a large parkland with 400 deer (red and fallow)        btw,  that's Mike in the distance walking back towards the car !

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks all,
    @ PB that makes 4 of us in the Bk-n-Grebe camp :) I'd go back and see if it is still there but its pouring down at the moment; might get you a deer with rain dropping off its antlers lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Alan, there are huge signs up at both entrances to warn visitors about the rutting season and to give the deer space and respect, warning people that these are wild animals and can react, however, each time I visit you see people walking right up to these animals; I guess what makes it difficult in this particular park is that the deer seem to be more comfortable around humans but like you say, that changes when the testosterone kicks in and rutting begins in earnest. Shame if a deer reacts instinctively and then has to be put down. Although I always use the long lens and extender during rutting season I still had to back up a few times as the females and young in particular often graze and walk towards you as they forage. I steer well clear if the stags are present and try to have Mike with me if they are in the immediate area so he can keep an extra pair of eyes for any signs of danger if I am taking pics. Only heard one bellowing and that was a long way off.

Regards, Hazel 

• There's always idiots who don't respect the wildlife. In this case it was mamils (middle aged men in lycra) interacting with a mammal. LOL

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Lovely set of photos of the deer Hazel, they are never so accommodating around my area, always hidden away in the woods or great distances away. Those cyclists could get a lot more than a puncture if they are not careful in the near future when hormones really kick in, still it could always thin the gene pool LOL
    Interesting discussion around the grebe and for what its worth I would go with BNG as well and wonder if its a juvenile as the eyes are not so bright red and the colour and pattern are more similar to BNG rather than LG.
  • Thanks Tony x 2

Unknown said:
    There's always idiots who don't respect the wildlife. In this case it was mamils (middle aged men in lycra) interacting with a mammal. LOL

LOL Tony,   got to admit I wasn't looking at the stag but at the cyclists in their skin tight lycra -  how I wish I had a gluteus maximus in such good shape   ROFL  !! 

Regards, Hazel 

• I'm always entirely happy to see skin-tight Lycra on the right man ..... saying that, non-Lycra shorts will do nicely as well. I still remember Linford Christie and his lunchbox!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• LOL Clare ! oh yes, I remember LC too ;)

Regards, Hazel 

• Not to mention Roger Black ........ or Gary Lineker on that Match of the Day!

I'd better stop before I get carried away.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Ladies please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What are you like.  Grin

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:

Ladies please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What are you like.  

Ladies?  Where?

As to what I'm like you'll have to ask Limpy.