Fabulous garden feeders and feeding birds

Its not nice times for all of us, reserves closed, many having to go into self isolation and much more.

James, may I apologise first, with your intended house move now on hold and all your feeders taken down in preparation, I do feel for you.

I know a good many of the community members are now concentrating more on their garden birds and feeders, and I was sort of hoping that a thread dedicated to the current situation may help to take some of the sting away.

Birds, and even mammals, particularly squirrels, will frequent our feeders to get their nutrients, and some take interesting chances to get their feed, so ~I thought starting a thread where all can share their photos may just put some cheer back in the world.

An articulate magpie after a coconut half....

And lastly, a blackbird trying to get on to a feeder, almost managing  it, but not quite!

Stay safe folks, and please feel free to share, no matter how good the quality is, lets bring a smile back to this world.

• gaynorsl said:
    Wow, I have not seen that before Mike, is it some form of courtship feeding I wonder. Great captures.

Thank you.

I really haven't a clue, unless, one of them is a juvenile pushing the boundaries for motherly attention....

I did a lot of searching on the web to see if I could find any remote clues, and nothing. Much of the research suggested they were unsocial birds and didn't undertake much social bonding activity.

If any one has any info, then I'm eager to learn.

• Keep smiling!

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Linda257 said:

Keep smiling!

I don't know why, but the pic of the pigeon on the feeder reminded me of an opening sequence to an old comedy classic; "Harry Worth", where he half hides behind a shop front and raises his left leg, with the reflection making him appear to be in the air!

And yes, you can partially see his right leg still supporting him....

• Jeezo the weird things that trigger our brains...mines was more angel in the chapel lol

• Oh I finally got those 2 books you recommended Mike...thanking you...I shall be trawling the garden looking for allsorts now...should keep me busy for another 3 weeks!

• Linda257 said:
    Oh I finally got those 2 books you recommended Mike...thanking you...I shall be trawling the garden looking for allsorts now...should keep me busy for another 3 weeks!

Brilliant.

Mine are a good few years old, well travelled, a bit dog eared, and still get a bashing as I hunt out new finds....

• Apart from this robin, who has found an orb spider, or some insect with a spherical part of its body...

Activity was very quiet, though a blue tit was eager to get a sunflower heart and take it way....

And around we go.....

Now, is it clear to go home?

Look left

Who is that there?

Look right

All clear and away weeeee gooooo

• Pristine  condition  for now..will be covered  in muck by end of the day turning over bricks and dead wood lol..a bug hunt to start with!

• Linda257 said:

Pristine  condition  for now..will be covered  in muck by end of the day turning over bricks and dead wood lol..a bug hunt to start with!

Have fun and enjoy  ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup 

• I was going to post these at the weekend, but a tumble Friday pm rendered me out of action for a short while. But, like the 1970's children's toy; 'the Weebles' with their quote "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down", I fell, but I've bounced back up.

So, a wood pigeon decided it was going to stand on the pond fountain, and drink from the fountain!

Unfortunately, the photos were taken from in the kitchen, so the quality will be poor and the angle doesn't show the pond.....

"Hmmm, there's water there I could drink, now, can I walk on thin air or not?"

"I'm going for it, I'm drinking...."

"That was ok, damned nuisance getting water in my eyes...."

"Time to move on...."