Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Haha....I am guessing its the only release for most of us these day!....I have even started looking at insects and bugs..never too late to learn something new....better than doing a jigsaw lol

Aww your poor wife but least you have each other at this terrible time....

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Linda257 said:
    Haha....I am guessing its the only release for most of us these day!....I have even started looking at insects and bugs..never too late to learn something new....better than doing a jigsaw lol

Aww your poor wife but least you have each other at this terrible time....

I'm sure it is, for those with gardens. I feel for those who haven't and are locked in.

As for Mrs PR, she's an angel, putting up with me.....

A couple of books I find helpful for generally wildlife identification are:

Collins Complete Guide to British Wildlife

Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain: A Unique Photographic Guide to British Wildlife (Paperback)

The second book has an interesting Index, in that it lists more than one page for each species you try to ID, which might seem confusing, but actually, its not. It gives you other possible alternatives of similar species allowing you to make an informed guess at what you're trying to ID, plants, birds, animals, insects, you name it.

Both are good books, the first book has clear photos that seem very genuine and not cleaned up images.

• Brilliant Mike thanks...only bird books and baking books I have ...my daughter is studying zooligy at University so she likes to show me all the lab work with insects and stuff...wasnt interested much then (past 2 years) but I am now I have all this time on my hands!

• Evening all - first time posting so please point out any newbie mistakes Smiley Have been a silent watcher on here for a few weeks now but having decided nobody seems too scary have taken the plunge and done my first post!

Few snaps from my walk today:

Sun was out so this magpie looks amazing!

Nuthatch - I think gathering moss for a nest

Robin - soon turned round and chased off the LTT who dared photobomb his photo!

Last of all this blue tit - not the best photo but thought it reflected the way they flit between branches quite well!

Thanks for taking the time to have a look!

• Hi Sam, welcome aboard........finally!
    Your only mistake was being a silent watcher for weeks Joy
    Cant believe it took that long to see we are all a crazy friendly bunch lol
    Glad you have finally taken the plunge and shared some lovely pictures with us all.

Hope to see more posts and pictures from you in the future.

Linda

• Welcome to the forum, Sam, and thanks for the photos--a lovely collection. I look forward to more. Where are you situated, please?

Kind regards, Ann

• Hazel, Good luck with all of the arrangements for the new place. I hope you can rent more time in your current place if everything needs to be delayed. Was Mike on your walk, too? I love the bunnies--hope they give you many moments of delight in future. Did you know that when a rabbit does a sudden leap and twist in the air (with possibly a short, wild gallop before and/or afterwards) the leap is called a 'binkie'? We watched our rabbit do those leaps and it is just about the best illustration of sheer joy I have ever seen--clearly from a very happy bunny enjoying life. I wonder if it acts like a Gazelle's leaping and prancing--shows predators how healthy and not worth chasing it is. Not sure if wild rabbits have time to do binkies, though--possibly too busy eating and watching for predators!
    As for the current situation, it is definitely not life as we know it, very grim for many, and there's no telling when or how it will all end.
    Stay well, everyone, and see you when it is all over!

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks for the welcome Linda and Ann! I live in Hemel Hempstead - as a result all the osprey photos and webcams are fascinating!

• Morning all, enjoyed all the recent offerings and would have joined is but have been busy trying to learn all this new technology - zoom, what's app etc., blimey it all takes time and I would really prefer to be out and about but hey.
    Hazy hope you do manage to get into your new home, not easy I'm sure with things as they are, nice to see you have plenty of wildlife around to entertain us when you do get there, looking forward to exploring your new patch and hope it is sooner than later:-)
    Welcome to the Forum Sam from me over on Anglesey, glad to see your photos and a lovely selection especially the Magpie in flight, good to have new "blood" on here so keep posting.
    Got to keep my eyes open on my walks now for a rabbit "binking" never heard that before Ann, sounds just right for the leaping around they do, not that I have seen a wild one do that yet. Now hares I can imagine when they are courting.

Lot to learn

• Hello Sam and a warm welcome from meet to in Cheshire; we're definitely not a stand on ceremony bunch and glad to welcome everyone although we may appear a little crazy at times lol so hop on board and thanks for your first post with lovely photos which are much appreciated.

Regards, Hazel