Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• As I am one that has still much to learn Paul can I ask what the 2nd beautiful bird is?

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Lovely Paul, looking on my phone and the robin has the look of an aura about it.... Stay out of the light little one....
  • Linda257 said:
    As I am one that has still much to learn Paul can I ask what the 2nd beautiful bird is?

Hi Linda, the second bird is a male Yellowhammer.

My bird photos HERE

• ...Added to my list. Thanks Paul
    Very nice indeed!

• Hazel, Thanks for the warning. We'll keep an eye on the baffle screws. Mr GB put them up so I do not know if ours are metal or plastic. We also have vaseline and can grease the poles, so to speak, which does work--we tried it before we had the baffles but you must keep the pole clean and replenish the slime regularly which quickly became a pain!

Linda, I love your photos and hope you'll carry on posting pictures of your Squirrels. We assume that the extra 4 Squirrels who appeared here when the Squirrel grapevine broadcast that there was food in our back garden, have probably gone back to their previous food sources. All of the back gardens near us, and ours, each have a few large old trees, some of them Oaks, some Conifers of various sorts, some Beeches, and the next door neighbours have a large nut tree in their front garden so we had several months of Squirrel traffic along the top of the fence between our gardens as the Squirrels galloped back and forth, collecting nuts in late summer and autumn, all of which was highly entertaining. Our trees and all those near us all have protection orders on them. That means, of course, that there is an abundance of natural food here and no one can cut any tree down or remove branches, even if the tree is dead, without permission so the natural food sources will not be depleted any time soon if ever! We briefly considered putting out food specifically for the Squirrels, but because of the abundance of natural food and the fact that feeding them anything beyond what they could find naturally would have greatly increased the population, in the end we rejected that idea. And all being well, we'll continue to have just one pair entertaining us, and any offspring of theirs will, I hope, disperse into the wider area (she said, optimistically!)

Kind regards, Ann

• Hi Ann, we tried Vaseline which worked pretty good although chilli power mix did nothing to put them off as once they got the taste they returned lol

Had to do a wildlife rescue this morning which was proving rather difficult during this pandemic when RSPCA, Veterinary surgeries, etc, all have closed front doors and telephoning just went to a series of automated menus getting me nowhere. In the end I tried getting information on our local wildlife centre and being 15 min walk away I then took my two injured Goldfinch in a cardboard box to the locked front gate where I was able to gain entry via the intercom link. Yesterday, one Goldfinch hit the courtyard window really hard, ending up stunned on the ground. I picked it up gently and quickly placed it in one of our raised flower beds which only have buxus trees in them and then I retreated back to give the bird time to hopefully recover. Less than half an hour later the bird had moved (after being virtually spark out) and was perched in the buxus but still looking dazed and not moving much. We left it alone overnight but this morning the Goldie was walking round the courtyard itself on the ground and its mate must have come to look for it and unbelievably it hit the window. I had already reduced any reflection and could not understand how it came to hit the window - it was bizarre as we've never had that problem in the nine months we've been in this rental - then we get two at once. Anyway, both birds were obviously concussed and looking in precarious condition so they are now with the wildlife hospital around the corner and I will hopefully be able to get an update in a day or two. One bird looked to be recovering and could eventually fly once I took it to the hospital but the other was still pretty stunned.  They were both checked on and wings seem to be in tact, no breaks.    Apparently, they can get swelling around the brain/head which can go down again so it is a case of fingers crossed and hoping one or both can recover. If they do or if only one survives I will collect it to return it to the courtyard area which they are familiar with. I have taken the tough decision to withdraw the two feeders as I don't want birds anywhere near the floor to ceiling windows which have caused the damage even though this is the first time it has happened in the time we've been here. There is plenty of natural foods around so they will be fine. So folks, keep your prayers going for these two little Goldfinch and I'll keep you updated.

Regards, Hazel 

• Sounds like the ideal place for wildlife Ann...costs me a fortune in food for them but after I saw the greenlink area the other day and was appalled at the state of it, its no wonder they all hang about my garden and eat. I will always post the squirrels on their own thread "Squirrel Antics" , hope you enjoy.

• aww poor little goldfinches Hazel, fingers crossed they will be ok.

• Fabulous Paul, love the Yellowhammer, and the Robin needless to say:-)

Lot to learn

• Well done on your rescue Hazy, hope both the Goldies recover enough to return and be released, odd that two should crash into the window in succession, so maybe best that you have removed the feeder.

Lot to learn