Last few pics from Leighton Moss - final morning

Weather is defying the gloomy forecast and turned out quite pleasant today with no wind or rain except a few minor droplets for very brief period.    After taking the full frame camera/300mm plus 2 x converter yesterday and finding the birds were far too close to get in focus,  I removed the converter today - but probably needed it   LOL    

Very cropped shots for the Bearded Tits (yes I will refer to them as Tits even if they are not members of the Tit family !  )     

Will put up more pics of other birds shortly ..............

Regards, Hazel 

• gaynorsl said:
    I have a feeling that other birds also have to have grit in the gizzard to grind up the seeds they eat, I'm thinking of the sparrows I see on the road picking up the gravel, and also wonder about the caged budgies eating what was it, cuttlefish shell I think, maybe doing the same job?

Yes, I believe so Gaynor as I saw Reed Buntings taking grit from the trays and maybe a lot of seed eaters practice the same behaviour to help grind up the harder seeds.    It's always good to learn more about birds - life is never dull when it comes to watching our feathered friends and learning from them !

Regards, Hazel 

• Nice to get Bully, Nutty and Voley (?). I think the woodland birds there always put on show for those who want to see, even when it's grey.
    Good to see Walter back too. The Rails must be synchronised. I got my first winter sighting (and photos) at Pennington, too.

Nige   Flickr

• Nice to see Walter again and the bank vole takes a good pic:-) Nutty and Bully are lovely pics too with the Robin posing nicely. Saw Titch today first time for a week, he appeared in the front garden and took pastry from a branch of the clematis, I think it must be one of his relations that is trying to take over the back garden, it comes in the shed, just a quick in and grab food and out, not like Titch who stayed happily for quite a while when he had peace. At least they don't appear to be too aggressive to each other, though there was a shouting match when my sis-in-law was here, opposite each other with a yard between, no feathers flew thankfully.

Lot to learn

• @ Nige,  glad you managed to catch up with a Rail at Pennington.    Walter wasn't too impressed with me having no live worms for him  lol 

Thanks Gaynor,   glad you have Tich back in the garden and hope he keeps his prime territory !   

gaynorsl said:
    there was a shouting match when my sis-in-law was here, opposite each other with a yard between, no feathers flew thankfully.

lol Gaynor,  I thought your relatives were getting out of control for a moment    ha ha !     just put a cup of tea in her hand and slice of cake in her mouth  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Great to see Walter back, as others have mentioned. He/she seems to shine out from the gloom. Love the Bullfinch, Nutty and Robin as well.

Kind regards, Ann

• A lovely 2nd half of the set too Hazel :o) I've yet to see a rail, and not seen a bully since about Feb :o(
  • Good to see all your regulars including Walter. Firecrest? Can't wait to see that.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Firecrest? Can't wait to see that.

Me neither, I've never seen one, so no pressure Hazel Joy

• Wow, that was not a good day out Hazel, I hope the pies made up for it.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Oh dear, sometimes you win sometimes you lose and that was one of the latter by the sound of it. Higginsons pies sounds like a good consolation. Hope you enjoyed them.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream