Bird of Prey pictures?

Is there a thread for your Bird of Prey pictures on here? I couldn't seem to find one and would love to see your pics (I don't have any - must try harder) so please share

• Wotcha Mike,

I have an Apeman H55. Cost me less than £50. No control over the frame rate, but it isn't near as high as standard frame rates from what I can see. It's night time photos are pretty rubbish. However, all I need it for is seeing what staggers around our garden or occasionally I'll do a mammal survey down at the nature reserve and only need good enough quality to recognise the beastie.

Resolution of video images is 1920x1080, which is on the high side. I could reduce it, but find it best to have the high quality image first, and then run it through something like MovieMaker to get compressed images.

The old girl is the one who has the skill to make the scrubs; full accolades to her. My main task is to supply our local hospital and GP surgery with munchies i.e. crisps, chocolate bars, biscuits, etc. I did donate some grapes to our surgery, as they can consume them there and then. Wokingham hospital only wanted munchies, as grapes would last the time it takes them to make up care packages and ship them out.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• One for the topic and one for Gardenbirder.

This beauty glided across our path (whilst we were out on our daily exercise walk) not more than 30m in front of us, and about 8 to 10m off the ground. It settled in a tree some 30m from us and sat there for ages. I did think it a raptor when it glided, then thought it a pigeon as it flapped into the tree, then thought it something like a Green woodpecker as it perched on a branch.

Turns out it was one of the Sparrow hawk which I reckon were circling our house, the other day.  It just looked so small - you may be able to hear my other half saying so, and me replying that I thought it was a male Sparrow hawk. I believe they are smaller than the female.

Shot on my bridge camera. I was surprised that the digital zoom worked so well. I thought it would be pixelated, like when in camera mode.  The video, however, does not take a lot of compression, hence these short clips.

Ann, your wish is my command. The first four images were taken from the 'For the love of scrubs' facebook page.  You may need a stiff drink before seeing the fifth image. The first four photos are actual photos from medics showing the scrubs in use.  There were some even better examples, but I couldn't find them this morning as so many posts were added. Funnily enough, it's the men who seemed to go for the nuttier scrubs i.e. top and trousers.

Apparently, a medic can require up to ten changes of scrub per day if they enter and leave a covid-19 ward. Hence why they need so many.

NOTE: I've blurred some of the faces. While these photos are marked as public, the facebook page is a private group.  Quite sensibly, the administrators of the facebook page want to keep trolls out, and so you have to join the group - which is not at all hard.  But it allows the administrators to remove any despicable, inhuman troll that tries to infiltrate the group.

These chaps are wearing hats made by volunteers.

Some volunteers were able to get hold of blue NHS material before the fabric stores ran out.

And finally, me, in the first one my partner crafted with her fair hands; made out of a surplus bed sheet. I think I can safely wander the streets unrecognised from this photo.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• I'm so impressed that your OH is making scrubs for the NHS. It takes me half an hour to sew on a button and it invariably falls of after a couple of days. BTW you look very cool. Suits you sir.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Good to see the pic of the Kite TJ, glad to hear they are still flying around your area.
    The Sparrowhawk is a good capture Angus, I get both male and female doing a fly past here from time to time.
    Your better half is a dab hand with the sewing machine, and you are not a bad model at all:-) The sense of humour that you have will help you and us through this horrid time, I hope you get thanked every step of the way.

Lot to learn

• I am loving this topic, BoPs being my favourite bird subject. Goshawks are my overall favourite, absolutely awesome predators.

I am fortunate to be surrounded by fields and wooded areas where I live in Lincolnshire, and I have a few bird and mammal pics but I haven't yet worked out how to post them.

Advice as to how to would be greatly appreciated.

Nev.
  • Nev said:
    Advice as to how to would be greatly appreciated.

The key to posting photos is to click on "Use rich formatting" beneath a reply box. This will open the advanced editor. This will give a couple of options

1. The simplest method is to simply drag and drop a photo one at a time from your computer into the editor panel. Best to put a line feed between each photo otherwise they will all be joined together. The disadvantage of this method is that the size defaults to 320x240 (virtually a thumbnail) but they will enlarge to full size when someone clicks on them. There is a way to increase the displayed size by editing the HTML but I won't go into that here unless you want to know.
    2. A more flexible method but a bit more laborious is by using the "Insert" drop down menu. Click on "Insert image/video file" and fill in the dialog box that opens. As well as the details of your file location you can change the dimensions of the displayed file. Again you can only do one photo at a time.

Remember though there is a 4Mb limit to the file size and it's usually better to have the file 2Mb or below for speedier loading.

Hope that helps.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Kestrel (m) coming to land.  I put the box up about 15 yrs ago and 14 broods have successfully fledged.Coming in to land.  Kestrel (m) landing in the box I put up 15 yrs ago 100mtrs from my back door.  14 broods have successfully fledged since installing the box.  Refurbed last year to keep the wet out hence the appearance of a refugee shanty hovel.

•  Poor quality image but they don't perform to command do they?

•  Male adult Kestrel on my summer house roof.