Slow worm behaviour

Been meaning to join the community for ages and eventually got round to it!

End of June this year, I saw the most bizarre behaviour by a slow worm. I was out walking alongside the local river and noticed something wriggling in the water on the far side. Had my zoom lens on the camera and could see it was a slow worm. I thought it was in difficulty but after watching it for a few minutes realised it was actively hunting in the a calm shallow area in the river (which was quite low at that time). Watched it for about 20 minutes altogether. There was plenty of opportunity for it to easily get out the river but it didn't. At times it would move its body slightly to enable it to stay stationary in the gentle flow of the river then would suddenly dart off swimming towards the water line of a rock and seemed to be picking at ???lavae (I couldn't see that much detail) at the waterline or stretching just above and occasionally ducking below the waterline to get whatever had caught its interest. Only lost sight of it after 20 minutes when it let itself be gently taken further down the river and rocks then occluded my view. Got a few poor quality photos as heavily cropped and ISO was at 8000 at some points as it was in quite heavy shade much of the time.

When I got home I googled swimming slow worms and quite few sites had people saying yes they can swim though don't do it by choice but this one most certainly was.

• A friend had loads living in a big pile of bark chippings in her garden that she inherited when she moved in to the house.
  • Rolo said:
    On another topic , since the cold spell in the winter of 2018 , I have not had any frog spawn in my garden . The spawn was there in march of that year but the pond froze for several days even when I kept braking the ice .There has been no activity frog wise since ? My neighbour had some chickens which encouraged a bit of a rat problem in our garden as they were after our bird seed. I have nothing against rats but I wondered if they predate on frogs / froglets? The pond they used to use for spawning has not changed with easy access and is clean and still . Anyone have any ideas?

Does your pond get enough warmth & light Rolo, essential for successful hatching of spawn?

Long & in depth article here about frogs, rats are mentioned as predators way down the page

www.bbcwildlife.org.uk/unusual-frog-mortality

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thank you Wendy very helpful .