Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2019

This thread is for anything to do with Damselflies, Dragonflies and Demoiselles. Anyone is welcome to post in it.

The 2018 thread is HERE

Nige   Flickr

• I noticed the first few larval cases the other day

All empty, but you can see one of the adults hiding behind the reed. It amuses me when they think they're being watched and shuffle around out of sight. Fortunately they were not up to flying so if you were patient they shuffled back again to get the best of what little light there was.

These are so immature and pale I'm not actually sure which species they are but I think they will be Azure, Common Blue or Blue-tailed. Normally, I see Large Reds first, but this year seems a little shaken up with multiple cold spells in Spring

If we ever get a bit of sunshine again we should start seeing a few flying around and maybe even a Dragon or two! 

Nige   Flickr

• Well done Nige, I've had a few but not got around to posting yet!

This is a Southern damselfly (Coenagrion mercuriale)

& Large Red Damsel

I've not seen a lot but not really been to right places!

Our posts crossed there Nige, & good to see you've had some too!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• At least yours are mature, Hazel! I don't get Southern Damsels near me.

Nige   Flickr

• They turn up in the local pond every year. I'm amazed the larve survive as it's full of American Crayfish.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks for starting this year's thread, Nigel. It's been so cold and now cold and wet that I haven't seen any damsels so far this year. Nice start with the freshly emerged ones and Hazel good to see yours too especially the Southern Damselfly.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Good start to this year's Damsels and Dragons, and cheer up everyone there is warm weather on the way - can't wait:-)

Lot to learn

• A female Broad-bodied Chaser at Leighton Moss today to add to the collection

Regards, Hazel 

• That's a nice early one, Hazel. I haven't seen any dragons yet or damsels for that matter. Well spotted.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Well spotted and taken, Hazy, That Broad-bodied Chaser looks like it's brand new out of the box. Like Tony, I've not seen a Dragon yet this year. Yesterday, at the gravel pits, I did spot just a few Large Red Damsels.

Nige   Flickr

• That's a great macro shot, Nige. Makes me glad I'm not a fly.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream