Sunny Silverdale

Spending a week up in N.Lancashire and visiting Leighton Moss each day;   couldn't have timed our break better with such lovely sunshine and above average temeratures which thankfully most of the country seem to be getting so hope you are all enjoying venturing out and about in your free time for a bit of birding and wildlife spotting.   

Here's a selection of photos so far;    thankfully Jim arrived with his battery charger so I was able to top up the battery power again !      L.Moss is such a wonderful reserve as some of you already know, it's like a home from home with the most brilliant rspb staff and the resident birds/wildlife.      Last night we joined one of the managers at Barrow Scout, just up the road from LM, in the hope of seeing a large starling murmuration but the birds decided to go to roost behind us, the other side of the reserve and out of sight   lol    ..............however, we were treated to seeing Bitterns in the darkening sky as they did "gull-calling"  but we hope they didn't decide to head off to Scandanavia.   There was no sign first thing in the morning of any Bittern movement at Barrow Scout and Mike and I did an hour's monitoring tonight and sadly no Gull-calling or sight of a Bittern although we live in hope that most Bitterns stayed on.    

Birds seem geared up now for breeding and the food treasts and mealworms are not high priority for them at the moment as they think about attracting mates and building nests.   

In no particular order ........     there were no excuses for bad light this time except in the darker woodland areas !   

a group of Pintail drakes 

don't ask me what's going on with the two bill to bill    lol

Mr and Mrs Pintail .............

Gadwall 

Great Egret

and we were told that this Little Egret is in full breeding plumage -  all those beautiful "royal ascot" fancy feathers

Teal drake taking a sip of water

Mute Swan

Three buzzards were in the sky, here's one of them

There are 6 Marsh Harriers including 2 males,   this is one of them ...............

Great black-backed Gull

don't think I'd be arguing with these birds     !

boys will be boys   !!     

I will add more tomorrow, thanks for viewing these

Regards, Hazel