All about Insects 2019

This is the carry on thread from "All about Insects 2018" here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196071/all-about-insects-2018

I had a lovely Minotaur Beetle around the UV trap this morning, my first ever!

Apparantly this is their time of year!

All insects, spiders, beetles, flies etc etc welcome,

• Fortunate that it didn't get flushed down the pan then!
    I wonder if I had been instrumental in mine taking a dip? Was sorting out overgrown water plants, lots of pruning & may have knocked it off accidentally! Oh dear
  • Sticking with Ladybirds, my first ones of the year today. :-)

• Well done on your rescue Wendy, I have seen a few Ladybirds in the fields now, this sunshine is bringing them out. Good photo Paul, nice to see a number emerging.
  • Thanks Gaynor ... great pic PA, not seen that many together at mine so far!
  • The insects are coming (at least on the warmer days). One of a few Tawny Mining Bees I've spotted

Before anyone says anything, I think these are hoverflies, which means they're both female and therefore they aren't doing what you first think! Quite what they are doing is another matter. They're on a Marsh Marigold.

• Great to see the ladybirds and tawny mining bees around, we had several ladybirds on our two box plants on the front doorstep and the whole garden has multiple underground nests with the burrowing mining bees; I believe these bees are great polinators and rarely sting so it's good to see so many. Also seen a few bumblebees too although I think all the insects will be taking cover tonight as the temperatures drop overnight to 1 degree - brrrrghhh.
  • With this rather chilly weather I've not seen many insects around. This is the first hoverfly I've managed to photograph this year. I'm still not confident about IDing them despite having a book. Initially I thought it was the common "Marmalade" hoverfly. However, I now think it's probably a Syrphus sp, possibly Syrphus ribesii. No idea what the other little chap is.

• As you say Tony,  it's pretty chilly outside but we have at least blue sky and sunshine here.    Great to see the hoverfly, that's a lovely detailed photo of it;     I forgot to add what I suspect is a Tawny Mining Bee from last week;  we have tons of them in the garden .... bit of a fuzzy photo though.       I have also seen Brimstone and Peacock butterflies in the garden.   

• Can anyone please help me identify this fly (I think) - sorry about the fuzziness of the picture.  I did have a look on Naturespot, but to be honest I have no clue what I am doing!!

• Nice hoverflies and bees, Tony and Hazy. Despite the sun, I'm not seeing much at the mo', just queen bees and they won't settle for me :( For what it's worth, Tony, I agree it is not a Marmalade fly, but after that it gets difficult!

Keira, I'm no expert but it does look a bit like this

Silver Colonel

You'll see it has a limited range, so I don't know if you are in the area but there's also another similar one and insects aren't always readily identifiable just from photos. Still fun to take photos of  them though!