All about Insects 2019

This is the carry on thread from "All about Insects 2018" here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196071/all-about-insects-2018

I had a lovely Minotaur Beetle around the UV trap this morning, my first ever!

Apparantly this is their time of year!

All insects, spiders, beetles, flies etc etc welcome,

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• That looks exactly like it.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Well done H, mystery solved!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Funny place to have a breathing tube methinks! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Maybe Pellucid hoverfly?
    Looks good for Hawthorn shieldbug IMO!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I've not been able to get out much this past week or so and I've only managed a few insects. I'm seeing loads of Dagger Flies at the moment

I want to get one with prey, as they catch other insects, as well as feeding on nectar. However, I did manage to get one of our weirdest critters for the first time, the Scorpion Fly

I've seen more mining bees this year than previously, including another Ashy (or Grey) Mining Bee

And this one, which is one of the smaller, less readily identifiable ones, so I'll just say Andrena sp. It has certainly got a sack-full of pollen, although it looks in danger of losing it if it cracks open any further.

You'd never guess this is called a Swollen-thighed Beetle, would you ...

One of the Eristalini hoverflies (Anasimyia Lineata)

A soldier beetle (I think Cantharis Nigricans)

Where there is one, there is usually another! I love the relaxed look of the female with folded arms. They have obviously fallen from their perch and wedged here and can't be bothered to get out! 

Nige   Flickr

• Fantastic macro shots Nigel, interesting set of species too.

Regards, Hazel 

• I really hate bugs. Around summer, I’m always reminded that I need to go around the house to make sure that the screens are properly fixed and there are no holes for the buggers (literally) to get through! I have no idea how they do it, but some always manage to find their own way in somehow! If anybody has any other smart ideas or remedies to prevent them from coming in, please do share!
  • A very odd looking fly

Apparently, that strange scrunched-up pose is typical for the species - it is one of the charmingly named thick-headed flies (Conopidae)

And a rather dopey Red-tailed Bumblebee let me take its photo. All the others were bustling around, far too busy to pose.

Nige   Flickr

• To think that I skipped past Simply Spiders only to meet up with that rather disquieting fly!!
    Liked dopey Bee-Bumble though!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    To think that I skipped past Simply Spiders only to meet up with that rather disquieting fly!!

Well, it wouldn't be as interesting otherwise Slight smile 

Nige   Flickr