Kestrels in the Quarry 2019... Just in time for Xmas!!

Two New Year Wishes ... firstly that Mr K visits tomorrow to start our year off right!

... secondly that a beautiful female appears to sweep Mr K off his feet & into that nest hole!

Thanks for all your support & encouragement during this past year ... 2018 thread here ...  https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196252/kestrels-in-the-quarry-201 

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• What a lovely Kestrel, taking in everything (after he woke up lol) in-between all that preening and doing those wing stretches; love the part in the clip where he raises both wings at full stretch. You certainly looked like you got brighter weather than we did today; hope you get a lot more visits from him.

Regards, Hazel 

• You got some excellent views there. He does sort of look a bit fluffy around the edges, which does make him appear young, but I've no idea how you can tell one really is young, not when he seems to have already reached adult plumage.

Nige   Flickr

• It's just a feeling Nige, certain little differences, wonder if he could just be completing 2nd moult?
    Here is Mr K on same day last year ... what do you think folks?

Rather long so just skip through ...

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I feel the first one has head markings different to Mr. K, the dark feathers come around further and it doesn't have the defined tear drops that Mr. K has. They certainly both poo and fly away in a similar manner!! Gorgeous wing spread though, very well captured Wendy.

Lot to learn

• So I'm not just imagining it Gaynor, thanks for looking!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Oh no more dilemmas! I think it looks a different fellow, dark around the whole head area as well as fluffy feathers, and not the same tear drop eyes, also fluffy around some body feathers too?

Edit, had another look at both videos, now I dunno! Chest/neck markings do look the same, maybe the head is darker and he looks fluffier with another moult!! Mmmm?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A conundrum alright CL!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sorry for delay in announcing new visitor to quarry on 6th Sep (Mick recorded footage & pics & didn't realise the significance... he does now!)

will post all, good & bad alike to commemorate the day ...

Have you guessed yet what all the excitement is all about?? Lol

WOOHOO!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Full marks to Mick for keeping up with her most of the time ... she did start off in tree to the right of nest hole then perched in top of another slightly to the left but he never saw her investigate the actual nest hole although she was already flying around from place to place when he first spotted her!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Oooh, lovely video footage and exciting to see a female Kestrel investigating the area; hope she decides to stay long term - well done to Mick for his observations - hopefully many more updates to come !

Regards, Hazel