A week in Silverdale

Headed back to our favourite rspb reserve this morning and staying in a cottage around the corner for a whole week !      It was a beautiful sunny morning but we didn't start out too early and arrived after 10am for a quick recce round.     It was fairly quiet on the main reserve although we did see a distant Great Egret as well as 4 of their smaller cousins and I believe there are two or three Cattle Egret so we'll catch up with those hopefully another day.      After no reports for a week of the Great Grey Shrike, it was spotted by two rspb senior staff this lunchtime so it was a very pleasing report - not sure we'll see it ourselves during our week here but we were glad to hear it was staying around the area.         Bitterns have also been reported and the same staff saw one today at Causeway hide and then same bird in flight.      We haven't ventured off the main reserve on our quick trek round but lots of time to do that duirng the next 6/7 days.

Robins are a plenty as you would expect on this reserve and plenty willing to hop on to your hand or help themselves to live mealworms from the tub !      One robin was trying to break the four minute robin record today and eventually I had to politely ask it to head back to the twig before my frozen fingers dropped off   lol        A water rail was too close for photos as I had the 300mm x 2 on the camera but managed record shot of it.      Not many pics today as it was a day for strolling round and looking through binoculars.      

I won't keep Paul (MC) waiting for his robin fix so will start with those ....

We saw one Great Egret and four Little Egrets

GE was a bit distant for pics - seen from Lilians Hide

and its smaller cousin taking off

was a little breezy  !  

We saw a pair of Bearded Tits on the Grisedale grit tray but no decent pics

Lots of ducks around including these attractive Teal   - Drake

female Teal

and rhe record shots of the Rail

Regards, Hazel 

• Yesterday (Monday) we had a lovely walk round the reserve with Nigel and Jason and although we didn't see either Grey Shrike, American Wigeon or Bittern we still had an enjoyable day walking around 11 kilometres back and forth from one end of the reserve to the other and starting off at the salt marshes.    The Little Egrets and Snipes were probably showing the best yesterday and Nigel and I were watching a LE from Grisedale Hide which was fascinating to watch as it bathed -  which neither of us had really seen before from these birds.   

At times it looked like a large duck as it lay flat in the water,  then it was unrecognisable as it dunked itself    lol      Here's a few quick pics....

Impression of a duck .............

Miss lovely legs 2018    ! .......

We did see the water rail again by the feeding log which enjoyed the live mealworms I chucked out for it .....

a little dark for pics but ...............

Goosander at the salt marsh

Just off to the salt marsh now  so catch ya'll later.     My thanks to Nigel and Jason for making the effort to join us,  it really was a beautiful sunny day and we all had a good catch up.    

Regards, Hazel 

• Great photos as usual Hazel, it's makong good viewing to me as I am stuck inside most of the time in this cold raw weather as I seem to have picked up another chest infection,more pills I would probably scare the birds with the rattle of the pills I'm taking. It is supposed to warm up slightly later in the week so maybe I'll get to our local reserve as a number of Whooper Swans have been seen and even a couple of Bewicks. mI really love the bird movement at this time of year so will have to get the duvet jacket out and the thermals as I don't want to miss it all. Keep those shots coming in Hazel a lot of us really appreciate them.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Glad you had good weather on Monday and a nice meet up with Nigel and Jason. It's been cold and grey down here and now it's raining.

Lovely photos. The Little Egret put on a fine display. What wonderful plumage they have when they shake it all about. Love the mullet hairdo on the Goosander.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Glad you had a catch up with Nige, and Jason, and you got some nice pictures even though it looks a little on the dull side, and you must have left the Salt marsh or never went into the Eric Morecambe Hide a Red Breasted Merganser was seen there about 12:00 noon

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thank you everyone,  what a difference a day makes as they say;   today we started off again at the salt marshes at 8am till about 10am looking for the American Wigeon which although was there, we could not pick it out amonst the other couple of hundred Wigeon as most were on the bank with heads tucked back !    The weather was so bitter cold that after two hours we were in danger of turning to icicles so headed back to the cafe on main reserve to warm up and meet up again with Jason.    We ventured to Grisedale and Lilians Hide but it was much quieter on the whole.   Did see the Marsh Harriers reasonably close in but I didn't bother much with the camera as it was far too dull for pics.       It's now beginning to drizzle so Jason headed for home at 2pm as we walked back to the cottage and are now thawing out.    Feels like winter but cosy warm in the cottage.    I think tomorrow is much worse so not sure I will take the camera out at all, there will be strong wind and rain so will play things as we find them.    

@ Jim    Wasn't dull yesterday Jim but some pics were taken late in the day.    We were out on the salt marshes at 7.30am whilst still dark till 9..30am yesterday so were on the main reserve and down by Lower Hide by noon.   

The water rail was showing really well at the feeding log and I coaxed him right out onto the path with live mealies  !    I didn't take photos as still had the extender on.       We've had a brilliant few days so far but weather is changing now.      

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Pete,   so sorry that you are still suffering from that severe chest infection but better to keep warm indoors at the moment until this Atlantic front passes over and we get more settled weather.     Will be great if you eventually get out to see the Whoopers and possilby Bewick Swans,   winter is such a wonderful time for these birds and also the waders.    There were tons of Bk.t.Godwits, Lapwings, Wigeon, Teal, etc., on the salt marshes this morning but it was very dull and very very cold as we sat in the hide with the window flap open !     I think there may have been a Little Stint we saw according to a more experienced birder but the small wader hid from view behind one of the little islands much of the time so we didn't get much chance to get much of a look or take a record shot.         Only a record shot of the Godwits landing on the small island in the marsh pools. 

Regards, Hazel 

• looking for the American Wigeon which although was there, we could not pick it out amonst the other couple of hundred Wigeon as most were on the bank with heads tucked back ! 

I was rather hoping you might see and photograph it, Hazel. The reason I mention it is because back in the summer I saw what "might" have been an American Wigeon at Slimbridge. It had some of the features but the white/cream crown to nape stripe didn't look quite right. There was some discussion in the hide as to whether it was some sort of hybrid. Here's a couple of pics.

It would be nice to get a comparison if you do see it.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Glad to read that you have been having a great time away and seeing all the lovely birds and some new finds. Lovely pictures.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi Tony,     I did see photos of the AW on someones mobile phone this morning but it was digiscoped so not very clear shots as bird was at distance;     I will keep trying to locate and get a record shot if I can but think the weather is against us at the moment.       Looks a bit different to your pics;  more pinkish blush along the whole side of flank and the green head stripe and top of head was more faded and speckled ..... but guess it depends on time of year !       Fingers crossed I get a chance to see it and it's not got its head back into its shoulder  lol 

Regards, Hazel 

• If the conditions are right the salt marshes are a brilliant place especially if a raptor or two come hunting for a meal.

Certainly staying warm inside,Chris is not letting me out, but I'm having fun playing around on the banjo and catching up on reading.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can