A walk in Derbyshire

Decent weather predicted for Derbyshire (White) Peak District area yesterday so packed the camera, rucksack with beef/tomato sarnies, flask of tea, cake and obligatory packet of Pom Bears  lol    and headed off for the start of our walk (5+ miles) parking up at the beautiful village of Hartington.  

Quick pic taken on old iPhone showing Hartington church

From the village we headed across pasture where we watched a Hare scurry across the grass before we ventured on passing through a short track of woodland along a path that joined the River Dove and Beresford Dale,  a picturesque area which meanders slightly through wooded habitat and opens into steep limestone hills either side of the River;   this was an area back in time that mined for Lead and Iron and quarried for Limestone.   

a photo of the Hare which was a scurrying across the pasture -  didn't realise their legs were so long   !    ......

then for some reason it stopped  !      paused a while so I took another photo

an iPhone pic of the area of woodland just as we reach the River Dove

No sooner had we entered the banks of the Dove when we spotted our first Dipper, a favourite bird of ours to see although as is usually the case they tend to opt for the far dark shady banks and lurk at the edges blending into the rocks so you have to wait for them to start dipping in the river !   

It has to be one of the most difficult birds to photograph when it comes to camera settings with high ISO and trying to get enough speed;  sorry, these are the best I could muster.   Was much darker than you could imagine in the heavily shrubby/ wooded river area.

Two Mandarin ducks where in the same area but on the near bank !     Not sure if its male in eclipse, juvenile or female    lol

iPhone quick shot as the 300mm x 2 reach was too close - as you will see in 2nd pic   !

too close but cute !

On to Wolfcote Dale

a group of juvenile Mallards were huddled together like a load of stuffed toys on a bed   lol 

A female Grey Wagtail hunted for insects .....

a sheep baa'd for its Momma who was up on the limestone crag and then clambered up to join her after I took this photo

a very tatty looking butterfly sunned itself

a juvenile Blue Tit foraged from the Alder ?

another dipper, possibly juvenile,  flew along the river landing typically in an obscurred area close to its parent  !

I could hardly pick out the bird between the thicket of ferns, grasses and shrubs  

this was the adult nearby and a little easier to see albeit still in a heavy shaded area requiring high ISO  !

close view ............

I will put these photos up in stages as there are a few more to come yet and don't want to overload you in one go  !!        I have Kestrels to come, more Dipper shots and a few too many photos of a very endearing young Spotted Flycatcher fledgling who stole my heart     lol   

Will upload a few more later.    

Regards, Hazel 

• It looks like a nice walk and not to steep either Hazel.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James G said:

It looks like a nice walk and not to steep either Hazel.

It is a wonderful walk Jim and would love to take you there anytime you fancy (except winter ! ) but it is well over 5 miles, mainly on the level but with a gradual incline towards the end which you would need your inhaler for - a few times !     Just let us know if you want to go :)    you too Nigel if you read this.

Regards, Hazel 

• Looks like a lovely area Indeed for a nice day out, lots to see, cracking photos.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Next week does not look to good Monday looks ok but I don't think you will want to go again so soon and we are away next weekend so might leave it till after we get back and wait for a nice day :)

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James G said:
    Monday looks ok but I don't think you will want to go again so soon

We don't mind returning again on Monday Jim and weather looks perfect  (you never know when this lucky warm spell will break so sooner the better)  so if that suits you its ok with us;  I'll give you a call to discuss arrangements and whether you want to come with us or meet us there.   

Regards, Hazel 

• Thank you Hazy for taking the time to reply in such detail.  I think we will be going there the week after next so we'll follow your directions and see how we get on!  Hopefully I will be back on here afterwards with a few photos to show you.  Oh and I love cheese so I might just have to pop in to that shop!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Lots of lovely photos, Hazy. As you say, the Sp. Flycatcher would be the star. Not seen one, although have seen the Pied this summer so happy with that.

What do you mean, except in winter … fair weather walker! The best light for landscapes is in winter, although a nice day always helps :) Still hopeful I'll be able re-start proper hill walking soon! I won't guarantee I'll get there just yet, but if you are going Monday, let me what time you intend to get there and I'll let you know tomorrow.

Nige   Flickr

• @ Christine,   hope you have a great visit and my rough directions are good enough to guide you !   

thanks Nigel,  

Unknown said:
    What do you mean, except in winter … fair weather walker!
        LOL  I should have clarified that as we pass the Cat & Fiddle pub on Buxton Road  - 2nd highest pub in England !!   it often gets closed in winter months so the road is impassable sometimes in winter if they get snow on the high peaks.     You know us,  we walk in all weathers at Leighton Moss;   floods, ice, snow, storms, heatwaves      LOL    nothing stops us except the M6 traffic   !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Monday is ok with me Hazel, let me know what times and were to meet :)

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James G said:

Monday is ok with me Hazel, let me know what times and were to meet :)

will give you a call in the morning Jim :)

Regards, Hazel