"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Hazel! Thanks for your swift answer- Willie Wagtail! That's a sweet name for a very nice looking bird. It seems to free the Kangaroo of flees, ticks or other bugs. .And the Kangaroo accepts it with pleasure I believe,. For otherwise (different from e.g. buffalos,) it could easily grab the bird with its hand- like paws.
  • More odds and sods,  this time from Leighton Moss.    A beautiful day here after frosty start and no breeze at all but some birds were distant - apart from Walter Rail  !

Treecreeper ....   

Well you can't go to LM without handfeeding robins  !      

the Carrion Crows tend to stalk you if they see you have a bag of bird seed    lol         I did leave this eagle-eyed one some food.

Nutty took a fancy to the Peckers suet nuggets 

Marsh Harriers were far to distant for good shots - this was a female       (at least 11 on reserve so far)

Great Egret also too distant ………….

and a strange one to finish ..................... a hybrid duck ................     Shoveler X Cinnamon Teal     !!

Regards, Hazel 

• You certainly got a good day for it (and I think tomorrow is set for not bad either, before Saturday's possible storm). I don't think I've seen a Cattle Egret at LM. Eleven Harriers is lot. It seems the numbers over-wintering is going exponential. Walter's not come out the last couple of times I've been, so nice to see (s)he's still around.

Nige   Flickr

• Lovely photos, Hazel. Love the Teal/Shoveler hybrid. I've been reading the forum posts and RSPB blogs from LM so had seen the hybrid bird in a least one pic. This sounds like a good time to be there regarding other birds as well. Nice pic of Mike with the Robin and good to see Walter Rail again. How long are you up there? Great that you had sun today. It was sunny down here as well, but was a bit nippy after sunset.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thank Nige and Ann,

Unknown said:
    How long are you up there?

Drove up this morning arriving at dawn;   only here for two nights Ann, staying in the Travelodge not far from the reserve.  Think we've chosen best three days as it's ok until the wind arrives on Saturday afternoon and Sunday looks like gale force winds !    Have just spoken with Jim and he's heading over with his pal (also called Jim)  so we'll meet up at the salt marshes in the morning.    Hopefully another lovely day of sightings.  The Shoveler/C.Teal  was a lovely looking bird albeit a bit odd with the white round the part of the bill area which comes from the teal side  !       

Regards, Hazel 

• Glad you had good weather up there today Hazy, lovely here too, hardly a breath of wind and I managed to paint the back gate!! Good to see Walter so clearly and the Treecreeper too. You are putting Mike to good use I see, hope you get James on the same path tomorrow before you get blown back home:-) btw the Great W Egret with Lapwing and Cormorants is a lovely pic.

Lot to learn

• Well done Hazel, on picking the best days! Great that Jim and Jim will be joining you tomorrow. Hope you see lots more birds including all 11 Marsh Harriers!

Kind regards, Ann

• Very nice Hazel, and yes we will be up first light so will see you at the salt marsh.

I am not going to resize these so you will have to click on them to see them full size Slight smile

Taken at RSPB Bempton Cliffs yesterday, very lucky getting the SEO it came in without warning so only got one shot off before it went behind the trees.

And had good fun getting this Rock Pipit 

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Nice array of pics there, looks like some lovely light Jim, and both you and Hazel captured a splendid selection
  • Lovely set from Bempton Jim, nice to get the shortie and the rock pipit

Regards, Hazel