"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

Regards, Hazel 

• Great pics Paul, lovely to see the Nuthatch collecting for it's nest.

Lot to learn

• Black Tailed Godwit already showing his Summer Plumage, taken yesterday.

• Great set of photos Alan and good to see the blue sky as we sit under a thick dark blanket of cloud with rain and hailstone in-between. It's pretty cold too so not surprised you have snow ! Roll on springtime and the warblers return :)

Regards, Hazel 

• At last, a photo of a Jay, it had to happen eventually.!!  :-)

This is actually a good sighting for me. They're very, very shy where I tend to see them.

My bird photos HERE

• Well done Paul finding your Jay, they are such attractive corvids but they have to have one of the worst sounds I've heard with their typical screech lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Not seen any migrant Chiffchaffs, yet, Alan, let alone any singing.

I'm with you, Paul, the local Jays are extremely secretive and it's only at Leighton Moss that I occasionally get close.

Unknown said:
    we sit under a thick dark blanket of cloud with rain and hailstone in-between

This is what greeted me on my way out this morning - an imminent but rather spectacular hail storm over a local reservoir. The two gulls are Lesser Black-backs by the way Slight smile

In fact, I don't think I've taken a bird photo all week (a part from the gulls above) with the incessant wind and storms but I always think that's when to go and do landscape photography (no blue skies here please!) Earlier, while exploring migrant hotspots on the moors in readiness for next month I also got this stormy shot of a local landmark in the West Pennine Moors. It's only a stone's throw from where Flycatchers (both), Cuckoos, and even Ring Ouzels are supposed to stop over, so fingers crossed!

Both shots are obviously heavily done in Photoshop, to recreate traditional B&W darkroom styles.

Maybe I'll get some birds next week!

Nige   Flickr

• Paul your patience has paid off at last, I have heard quite a number of Jays and seen them flying away screeching, but yet to see any perched,

Lot to learn

• Hope you had your waterproofs with you Nigel, your photos are very dramatic and who can believe we had such glorious weather a month ago:-)

Lot to learn

• A big flock of about 10-12 Yellowhammer in Brixham yesterday with 3-4 Cirl Buntings landed in a bush for a few minutes, giving me just enough time to get closer and photograph the ones that were not obscured.