"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

Regards, Hazel 

• Thank you, Wendy, Maggie and Ann. I really am tickled with the first one. I don't think I've ever photographed a Red Kite with it facing my like that. You tend to see their undersides.

I found the trick to inserting big images is to set the dimensions to 640 x blank BEFORE selecting a file for update. If you upload first then set the dimensions, the software ignores the dimensions i.e. it's too late once the image appears in the pop-uo.

I found 640 a nice compromise between too big and too small; though I might try 700.  The software also seems to ignore dimensions above 1000 - sort of.  If you do blank x blank then I think the software uses the dimensions of the photo for its size - which can be enormous.

On to today's efforts.Sadly, I think this Great Spotted Woodpecker was either injured, stunned or on its way out of this mortal coil.  Not sure.

I spotted a dark grey blob on our Oak tree, and photographed it from the kitchen window. Thus identifying it as a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Its behaviour was very odd, like it just clung there, on the tree, all huddled up. Only later did I realise it was hiding behind Clematis branches.

I took a chance and unlocked the backdoor as quietly as possible (nigh on impossible with all the squeaks of the lock) and hoped the noise would be masked by a digger, clunking away over the garden fence. I crept out into the garden, and popped this shot off.

As you can see, this is not the normal pose for a woodpecker, even if asleep, and definitely not one when a human walks into the garden.

I managed to creep within 20' (6m) of the bird. It knew I was there. It didn't always keep its beady eye on me. It didn't fly off. I reeled off about 20 photos.

The next three are cropped

It was freezing. I only had a T-shirt and rugger shirt on. I walked back to the house. Halfway back, I noticed the woodpecker had moved. Apparently it didn't like my cat, who was prowling around the garden.  I photographed the bird walking up the tree; not flying and not really using its wings.

I watched the woodpecker struggle up the Oak tree for a couple or so minutes, but by now bits of me were freezing and in danger of falling off.  I retreated to the house.

By the time I'd locked the backdoor, gone up stairs to find a jumper and made my way to the kitchen, the woodpecker had gone. In that I couldn't see it in the Oak tree. This is not to say it hadn't found another hidey hole in the tree.

I hope the little fella is alright. We do have one that feeds regularly at my feeding station.  It's possible it had a run in with one of the Magpies or Jays or even one of the local raptors.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Nice pictures of the GSW - and it looks like quite a characterful curly tree it's in, perfect for posing.

Just for info, I have never had an issue altering the image size after selecting one for upload but as long as you have a way that works for you.

Nige   Flickr

• Peregrine Falcon hunting Ducks.

My bird photos HERE

• Peregrine Falcon hunting Ducks.

Was it successful?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Was it successful?

Not that I saw, Wendy. It was pretty exciting though, there were birds fleeing in all directions as it made several passes. I eventually lost it against the background. :-(

My bird photos HERE

• I was well and truly confused for a while when I logged into this forum this morning. Took ages for the brain cell to kick in and realise that the newest post is at the top - though it took a millennium to realise that every time I clicked on 'View More' the post date was going back in time!

Our dozy cats are known to bring in the odd rodent or bird. All are released back into the wild by yours truly, whether dead or alive. The former enter the food chain for the various birds and animals, the latter have a fair chance of survival.

Last night, the memsahib calls me over to the kitchen, and instructed me to look in the utility room. I duly glanced over to see one of our cats hunkered down by the fridge, staring at her food dish (some two feet away) with a look of perplexed indignation.

Chomping away at her cat food was this...

The cat didn't move until I came back with my camera to take this photo. Only then did she get up and wander across to her food dish. She sniffed the mouse, then immediately turned away in disgust, heading for the back door!  I fully expected her to chase the mouse.

At this point I decided to catch the mouse. Partly as I didn't want it trapped in the utility room and partly as our other cat had wandered over; I reckon she would have gone for it.  I donned thick gardening gloves, easily caught the mouse, and released it into the front garden.

What we found quite amusing about this whole episode was the way the first cat, which I reckon had caught the mouse and released it in the house, seemed unable to cope with its prey eating its food.  I mean, the mouse was supposed to run around for the cat to chase - not settle down and tuck into its food!!!  It really was having a good chomp at the cat food.

Loins thoroughly girded to see what changes are wrought in this forum the next time I get around to logging in.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• A funny story Angus, I think my wee cat would be like your other fellow, don't think she would be willing to sit and watch the mouse in her dinner

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A good story Angus and lucky the mouse was so engrossed in the cat food that you could catch it and gently evict it, otherwise you could've inadvertently acquired another animal in the house. 

Nige   Flickr

• Three from Friday.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I'm even more confused, some have the newest post up top, others I have to search for!

Nice photos Angus, and an apology to those I seem to be overlooking, it's not by choice, the layout is not user friendly.