"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

Regards, Hazel 

• Male Pied Flycatcher without jewellery.....

I can understand why birds are ringed/tagged for the purpose of study and research of their habitats/movements/numbers, migratory patterns.......the lists goes on, this is all good news for the purposes and importance of conservation.

But ......Why so many?

I was talking to a forest warden where I was told that in his patch, over 100 bird boxes were put up and all had nesting birds and all the parents were ringed and the boxes regularily monitored and checked. The young at the right time would also be ringed. This to me just seems over the top and surely this causes some stress to the birds. Why not have a random selection of the boxes done? Say 25%. This is also what I am being told is happening in other locations?

I recently saw a Dipper that had 3 rings, all different colours on both legs. Why 3, Surely this not necessary.

• Jay making a splash on a bad hair day !

record shots taken through window.

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    I recently saw a Dipper that had 3 rings, all different colours on both legs. Why 3, Surely this not necessary.

I know of cases where one metal ring is used and two plastic coloured ones on the other leg. The metal one is a specific identifier but they are so difficult to read in the field, they are normally only useful if the bird is recaptured or found dead. The two plastic ones will give less info but can easily be used in the field, with specific combinations meaning different things depending on the study, eg what year the bird was born. I'm not an expert but would guess this tends to be done for more local studies, where resident birds disperse over a short distance, so Dippers would fit that. Interestingly, I tend to hear the complaint far more from photographers than others (and I am speaking as one myself). 

Nige   Flickr

• Had a wee wander around Holt Heath this morning, allegedly Dartford Warblers reside, but didn't see any, however

long tailed tit

serin

and linnets

all pretended to be one!

• I spent my Bank Holiday Monday morning watching a pair of Black winged stilts at Catcott Nature Reserve in Somerset. Hope they hang around for a few more days.

• Some fabulous photos again, just love the Linnets and superb Stonechat, and Paul the black winged Stilt is another wonderful capture.

Lot to learn

• Thank you Gaynorsl, that is very nice of you to say
  • A whitethroat with 2 dragonflies. I watched him take 7 Dragonflies back to his nest in a short period. A very busy parent indeed.