Glorious Gulls & Dipper!

I love spending a few hours watching the regular Gulls antics in the harbour -most winters we get good numbers of Iceland and Glaucous Gull down here but I've usually only seen them at a distance.So it was a real treat to see these two amazing species of Gull just chilling on the harbour walls within touching distance! They are both juveniles (1st winter) so maybe a bit less wary of people 

Iceland Gull, Newlyn Harbour, Penzance

Glaucous Gull -these are huge Gulls and quite tough looking,lol

a few other sightings this day was this Great Northern Diver in the harbour 

This Shag on the harbour wall, wasn't bothered by my presence at all 

fishing boats coming in to Penzance harbour with St Michael's in the distance

Lovely Swan flyby 

Seal just outside the harbour scoffing a fish-don't know if the fisherman gave it as a treat, or whether it caught it itself 

and a couple from today - this is Kennall vale,a small Cornwall Wildlife Trust reserve. After several visits this winter,I finally  got to see a Dipper here -not a bird I see often down here ,so a real treat for me 

the site was a former Gunpowder works 

at last a beautiful Dipper 

Best wishes, Jayne 

See my Flickr photos here.

• Wow, fantastic!  Funnily enough I saw my first ever glaucous gull yesterday - aren't they lovely looking birds?  All the other birds (and the seal) are great and it's nice to see some scenic shots as well - I haven't seen St Michael's Mount since 2002.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks Clare, so pleased you got to see the Glaucous Gull-beefy Gulls  aren't they,I couldn't get over the size of them close up!

Jayne

• It actually struck me as being quite a pretty gull - it was quite young and had nice markings as well as those pale wingtips.  Certainly much less beefy in appearance than the local great black-backs!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• The St Michael's Mount view looks like it's from Newlyn or near to Mousehole?

A couple of places I've not been to for a few years.

Nice photos

• Thanks Bob, Hazel and Mike. The view is from Jubilee Pool, Penzance Mike,although I live in Truro, I spend a lot of time around this area and Hayle as it's such a great area for wildlife

Jayne

• That's a lovely pic of the Iceland Gull Jayne and also the Great Northern Diver, it's plumage showing up really well.   Well done on getting the Dipper, I think they are smashing birds and the river in full spate is so scenic.  A good job was done converting the area from the gunpowder site.  

Lot to learn

• I think gulls at the seaside always tend to be more fun and it must have been great to have two relative rarities around, not to mention the Diver, Seal and Shag.

Nige   Flickr

• From what I recall, it's not too bad a jaunt from Truro to Penzance.

I know the Jubilee Pool well, not that I've ever been in it, but I've walked past many times in days gone by.

My memories go back to the old Eastern Green Caravan Park of the 60's (when I were knee high to a grasshopper), and more latter years on Honeymoon and subsequent family holidays.

I find it a little sad that the old heliport is now a Sainsbury's, though I understand there are plans to reinstate the helicopter service  from Penzance to the Scillies, a flight we've taken a few times in the past.

We were hoping to return to Perranporth (where we had our honeymoon) for our Silver Wedding this year, but alas, my fitness and health looks set to put a block on that one.

• I love that Iceland Gull so much it hurts. Wonderful pics, Jayne.

• Thanks Gaynor and Nigel.

Mike-Jubilee Pool is looking glorious at the moment (it's had a £3 million restoration following storm damage). Never been in there myself either,rather be on the water than in it!

There is still some ongoing legal problems re the helicopter service in the news,(Isles of Scilly steamship travel company began judicial proceedings to review the councils planning permission decision into the heliport). I think it will happen though as there seems to be strong support for it.I do hope you get to come down here again-you obviously have lovely memories and a connection with Cornwall.

Aiki -lovely to hear from you! You would really enjoy Newlyn harbour at the moment -2 adult and 2 juvenile Iceland Gulls, 1 ad 1 juvenile Glaucous Gull - so confiding you can almost touch them. Lots of birders/photographers there at the moment as  adult Iceland Gulls are a much rarer sighting down here-there's also speculation over a possible Kumlien's Gull,but I'll leave that to the other birders to ID ! 

Best wishes, Jayne