All about Insects 2018

• In reply to Nigel O:

See that the markings vary between the two species ... some very educational vids on YT! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Yes, I agee, Plagionotus arcuatus which is really interesting if you look on this page MC, www.coleoptera.org.uk/.../cerambycidae it appears to be extinct, so you could make someone very happy by sending off your photo!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Only one sighting since 2000, which was in Surrey, according to the more detailed species page. If you've still got it happy in a box, you might have flocks of coleopterists camping out by the front door when news gets around!

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

I did read that it comes in sometimes on imported wood, if you have a woodyard nearby MC?

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Ooooh, this is exciting!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Noisette:

What should I do with it? As far as I know it's still alive in the container with the rotten wood.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• In reply to monkeycheese:

I just checked the beetle and it is busy chomping away on a soft piece of rotting wood. I've brought the container into the front room where it's a tad warmer. The back room is rather cold, although that does help the locusts to live longer.

monkeycheese said:

What should I do with it? As far as I know it's still alive in the container with the rotten wood.

I would definitely contact someone on that site H posted the link for ... even if it did come in on foreign wood am sure they'd like to know of it's existence given that the species is in decline ... at least your specimen is alive!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

I have sent them an e-mail with a photo attached. Hopefully it would be of interest to them.

Well done MC, you'll have to keep us up-to-date on their response. I don't suppose a bit of cold would bother it, but it may need protection from predators like spiders. We had a gorgeous rare blue long-horn beetle killed by a spider some years ago, such a waste.

Best wishes