How about a corvid thread?couple more tonight

Here's a few shots from Sunday

I was glad to see Mr Rook doing a grand job of cleaning up the mess left by spadgers earlier.

Isn't he a handsome chap.

A few of his cousins just wonder if they can help

She made it safely I wonder if I can

I'm watching you carefully

Phew...made it.

Got rid of those pesky jackdaws and now you can see my lovely plumage

Shame that person with the camera left out my tail!!

Just showing that I'm good at sharing really.

Hope you like them

Gaynor

Lot to learn

• Hazel, I remember Clare suggested a name for your bird.
    I've noticed that our Crows chase Wood Pigeons and they do so with great speed and determination, whizzing through our garden in hot pursuit. Have you (or has anyone) ever seen that behaviour before? It seems strange to me--how are Wood Pigeons a threat to Crows?

Kind regards, Ann

• Ann I haven't seen the Crows chasing Wood Pigeons but maybe because I don't get the Woodies in the garden at all. Strange, as you say can't be a threat surely to a Crow.
    I'm glad to see you brought back the corvid thread Hazy, I searched for it a while back and turned page after page, but gave up in the end, think it was when I saw two Crows on the front green sitting among the little blue flowers.

Lot to learn

• About time this thread of Gaynors was bumped back up again .......

it appears we have a rookery close by so I took a few pics from the apartment balcony which is high enough to give decent views of these corvids which roost in one of the trees further back.

This was the first view of 633 squadron  ! 

another circuit   ...............     not sure how many there are altogether but maybe 20 or so 

Ear-plugs in   !! 

Regards, Hazel 

• Nice to see the corvids again, thanks Hazy:-) I do like the last photo of the shouting rook, I know they can be pretty noisy, do you hear them at night as they go to roost? Lovely plumage on the second and third pics, so you have a pond and a rookery nearby, can't be bad.

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    I know they can be pretty noisy, do you hear them at night as they go to roost?

Yes Gaynor,  they seem to call more late afternoon as they circle around the area before settling in to roost;    it is amazing how much wildlife is viewable just from the balcony  !     We've had Kingfishers (sadly Alan hasn't come over and put perches in yet  lol ),    we have wild rabbits, buzzards overhead,  goldcrests and LTT's constantly contact calling.   I read in our local Alderley Park brochure that there are Owls (Tawny) and we have bats and yesterday one of the contractors on site told me there was a mink that comes to the garden to take rabbits,   I tended to think mink kept very close to rivers and wondered whether he meant a Stoat but I'm not sure.     Air Canada have just landed on the water as I type this  !     oh .... we also have grey and pied wagtails.   Who would have thought there is so much to see without leaving the apartment !!    We are lucky there are 400 acres on this large science park and residential area.    There is also a fox comes in occasionally at night-time.      

Regards, Hazel 

• That all sounds wonderful, Hazel. It is great that you have all of that wildlife and the surrounding parkland to enjoy. I was a bit concerned that you would have serious withdrawal issues after leaving your lovely previous garden but all's well that ends well or so they say!

Kind regards, Ann

• It all sounds really lovely Hazy, I am also very glad you have plenty of wildlife around to keep you occupied, especially now in these difficult times. Could be you get a chance next week with good weather forecast, even hot they say, for a few photos.

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    Could be you get a chance next week with good weather forecast, even hot they say, for a few photos.

We'll do our best Gaynor,  weather looks too good to miss;   we've been stuck in most this week getting the usual snagging items ticked off as the tradesmen on site seem to choose different days to do these jobs so we've had to be around the apartment all week :(        They now put heat sensors in all new builds and ours was too close to the ovens and hob and even the toaster set it off sometimes with a resulting decibel level to disturb the whole block as alarms go off in various places inside and even out on the balcony  - I wouldn't mind but I didn't even burn the toast  !!!      With new sofas on order it will be the end of the year before we look anywhere near normal with the interior  lol       At least these things gave us a distraction from Covid for a while and kept us occupied but it's going to drag on I fear.    Hope you get in some lovely walks with Sue doggie and see some nice wildlife.    

Regards, Hazel 

• Exciting tonight, I took Sue out at 7.00p.m.,. it was drizzling and she just kept looking at me when I was trying my best to pretend we had been out twice today!! Anyhow I thought just a short walk as it was nearly dark. Popped into the field on the way back from the lane and saw a fabulous fox walking across the field, heading in my direction, I hid but of course the wind blew my scent her way and she doubled back into the copse nearby. Lovely to see though, and as I walked with Sue that way she suddenly caught the foxs' scent and her tail went up and over, nearly touched her back, and shook, I haven't seen her so worked up for years. Great fun, we tracked the fox into the copse and around the hazel trees, but of course no sight of it so returned to the field and home.

Lot to learn

• Just goes to show Gaynor, you never know when you are going to bump into wildlife; it's usually when I don't have the camera with me lol Sounds like Sue enjoyed her walk too using all her doggy senses and tracking as a terrier !

Regards, Hazel