Unbelievable day of raptor sightings - & visit to Pickerings Pasture

We set off later than planned this morning due to a very misty/foggy start to the day and which didn't clear until almost 10am . 

Following a recce across the new Mersey Gateway Bridge to find Pickerings Pastures,  Hale/Widnes area  (which was very quiet bird-wise),   we travelled on to Neston Marshes (Denhall Quay area) on the Wirral;  on the whole it was a beautiful sunny day although thick cloud often obscured the sun and the wind picked up mid afternoon before settling down again around 4pm.      Out on the vast Neston Marshes we were treated to distant although enjoyable views through binoculars of 6 Short-eared Owls, two Marsh Harriers, three Kestrels, one Merlin, one Common Buzzard, Stonechat, Reed Bunting and last but by no means at least one male and one female Hen Harrier although I thought I saw two ringtails at one stage as did two other birdwatchers near me -    WooHooo !!!    

Fortunately, we had an expert watching the marshes with us later on, hence we didn't miss a thing  :)  so thanks to Geoff (ex-RSPB warden ! ) for his excellent  scope finds and also for his amazing knowledge and very nice company.       

It was a pity the birds were too distant to get close enough for photos and the Owls were even further away when they came out once the wind had dropped to feed on the many voles out on the Marshes.     It was one of those days you regret not having any photos to write home about but still totally thrilled at the sight of so many beautiful raptors.    

I'll stick a few record shots up of the female Hen Harrier as she was so super special to see but the photo is cropped to maximum really   !   The male Hen Harrier appeared late in the day but I couldn't get the camera on him quick enough.

I think you can still make out this beautiful  Harrier.

and a headless Harrier - maybe same bird or the 2nd ringtail we thought we saw together at some stage    

are these the Marsh Harriers, not sure I can make them out although I detect a blonde head at the left !!   I can't really remember as there were so many raptors in the air throughout the afternoon    =    Goes to show there is a very good Vole food supply for these birds :)

I can put my distant speck of a Shortie on the bad pics thread   LOL  !!        and the Merlin I won't even bother with as it harassed the H.Harrier half a mile away -  according to my expert with the scope  ! 

Regards, Hazel