An afternoon of gull subtlety.

It was a pleasant surprise when it turned out to be a (mostly) dry day today.  After doing various house-holdy things I took my camera out to see what was going on locally.  Rather inevitably I ended up at Felixstowe Ferry, where the feathered residents seemed to be having an afternoon of attracting attention:

Is this herring gull a male?  It certainly didn't like having a camera intrude on its shed time.

This well-practised pair offer the traditional Ferry welcome.

A new gull on the block!  I haven't see this darvic ring before.

Each one of these gets ready to be the first to get to the crabbers' leftover bacon.

This black-headed gull was adding impressively to the general noise level despite its smaller size.

The Godfather is never one to miss leftovers from a crabbing session.

'Give me FOOD!'

'No way - I saw it first!'

To the victor the spoils.

This impressive looking youngster has clearly reached the level of henchman.

I find it fascinating to watch the younger gulls establishing a pecking order.  All too frequently the pecking is literal!

Here we go again!

This probably constitutes a romantic meal for these adults!

A few of the gulls seemed happy to sit and shout.  Well, they're very good at it.

Others seemed to prefer wandering about, making a plaintive wailing noise.  With all the fish scraps lying about I'd love to know why they do that.

A beautiful wing stretch after a thorough bath.

I'm letting this crow gatecrash the thread as several were about, making plenty of noise.

I thought this great back-back looked particularly stately as it headed along the waterside.

'Can't I enjoy a drink in peace?'

This is as together as these gulls get - well, in public anyway.

I'm finishing with a lovely flyby from this black-headed gull.

Hope you all like this thoroughly larid thread!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• It's non-stop with the Gulls isn't it?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• They are never dull.

I hope you don't mean I'm posting too many photos of gulls!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare, Are you sure you haven't glued those two Gulls to that red post in your second pic?!  They are there every time you visit the Ferry.  How many red posts are there at the Ferry?!  And I think Monkeycheese was hoping for a Robin among the Gulls and I expect that the odd Crow just doesn't cut it for him!  But that is obviously a prime spot for Gull-and-Corvid-lovers.  (And you do photograph Robins at Minsmere, so you are probably off the hook.)

Kind regards, Ann