Mostly Moths 2017

I thought I'd start a new thread for 2017 & THIS is a link to the previous thread. To newcomers, all are welcome & you can post your moths, identified or not, on here. Any items related to moths too & of course caterpillars (all contributions of caterpillars welcomed by Wendy who is their substitute mum!)

Here are my first of the year, one from yesterday morning on the door, White-speck,

Which encouraged me to do a trap under the garden table & the White-speck came back along with a Black-spotted Chestnut

Unfortunately they were both dead, no sign of the spider, but it may be living under the garden table. Ah well, I suppose we all have to eat! I don't think I'll be doing another one for a while, this is just 2 or 3 warm days before it gets cold again.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• That's a smart one H with it's furry nose!

Stay warm tonight, hope it's better for you over there than me here ... Brrrrrrrr!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi H ... answer from Steve re the latest two pics I forwarded for ID

""Sorry, but I wouldn't like to even make a suggestion for the French micro - very worn and several of the species have many variable forms such as Acleris rufana.

I'm also not that knowledgeable on many micro species.""

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well I had a very cold night on the reserve, it was 8°C at 8pm & 3°C at 11pm when I went to bed, woke up to zero!! Despite all that I had 16 species! These are a few of the new one's this year,

Diurnia fagella

an Early Thorn

a Dark Chestnut

a type of Chestnut that you don't get Conistra staudingeri, which is a first for me, except I've had it several times previously & misidentified it, then this time for some reason, I thought "this ain't right" looked further & found a new one for the region! I got it checked on a French forum,

a Small Quaker

& a definate new for me Acleris umbrana

The new lights are working great, i just need the weather to warm up a tad! Anything new over there?

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:
    Anything new over there?

Nothing to come anywhere near your amazing job lot H ... all fabulous & I'm my usual colour again!!

This from night before last but a cheat really 'cos he'd been living in the shed since the trap two days before! Lol

See he's lost a leg too!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In shed today getting all Mothing bits & bobs to set up elsewhere tonight & to check on my EHM pupa when I discovered this little beauty on the wall behind EHM hatching house!

Bit fuzzy through glass but it's arms & legs look to be intact

EHM house

Star of the show

Oooh, do hope he/she emerges intact!

Within first half hour of set-up tonight I had this delightful little visitor ...

Unfortunately it had parked itself right on the blacklight tube which made for difficult pics & it nicked off before I could pot it for a better look!

There have been more too ... pics tomorrow!

Does belong on here ... honest!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, I don't know how I missed this post, lovely 20-plume moth you found. They sometimes come to light but they seem to visit the house once or twice a year, really one of my favorites. So who is "Owl face"? Got any more pics?

Best wishes

• Yes I have H ... all will be revealed!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Could it be a Silver Cloud?

I had a Herald the other day, it came to feed on my wine/sugar rope but did a free-fall every time I turned up with the camera, so I had a poke around on the ground & found it!

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:
    Could it be a Silver Cloud?

Belongs to this one ... could it be Square spot Rustic

This one in danger near roof so got my big stick out

Hebrew Character rescued & safe in egg box

Not so Beautiful right wing tip

Unknown little sweetie

Another unknown

Is this same one with LBAM female

Last trap was on 18th & that was a cool one, then weather got colder/windier/wetter & not picked up enough yet to make it worthwhile!!

Your Herald is lovely H & I want one ... of course! 

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, good to see you've got a few arriving, your "Owl face" is a Common quaker (Orthosia cerasi) same family as the Hebrew character. The small one's are all Double-striped Pugs. It's cold & northerly wind here so haven't done much lately. Maybe after the weekend!

Best wishes