Cuckoo, Skylark and Reed Warbler

Hi there,

I am excited to report that whilst walking my dogs this afternoon in near-by fields, I heard a cuckoo, skylarks and I am almost positive a reed warbler - that's if my memory serves me well  (with re. to the latter bird) after listening to what totals hours of 'British Bird Songs' by Paul Doherty (I purchased it from the RSPB online shop - it is really good!). The dogs and I got absolutely drenched on the way home from the mini tropical down-pour, with thunder, but it was worth it to hear the presence of these three species. I don't think the dogs could care less!

Best wishes,

Starlinga

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 07/06/2010 02:30

Hi Starlinga

I'm so glad you had such an exciting walk.

Actually, those 3 birds are very significant for me at the moment;

I heard a cuckoo last Monday in Kentmere but heard my first local one last night on my Barn Owl watch. It sounded really close and I spotted it on the electric lines by my house (no photo, sorry)

I saw my first Skylarks at Kentmere too but every photo I took was too late to catch one!

And the lovely pesky little Reed Warbler. It's the first LBJ that I can put hand on heart and say I can confidently identify it.

Sorry to waffle on about me on your post but it was such a co-incidence.

Cheers

Pipit x

• Whats this about a Barn Owl watch Pipit?

tell us some more please.

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 07/06/2010 03:07 in reply to AL

Hi AL

I can't remember when I mentioned it - I think it was part of that lovely thread wih the Little Owl pic on the telegraph pole.

Anyway. I was chatting to a neighbour earlier this week and he said a Barn Owl flies up the road and over my house every night about 9pm - without fail. I was so excited. So, straight after Springwatch I've been outside my house watching for the pesky Owl. And, has he appeared yet - has he dot dot dot.

So, I'm off out about 8.45 tonight to have another go at catching a glimpse and hopefully a pic or two.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Pipit xx

• Thats so cool Pipit

I hope ye were able to see the Barn Owl . They are such amasing birds  Its like they float on air  Not fly through it like other birds. If ye know what I mean lol

Anyway best of luck on yer quest!

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• Hi Pipit,

I am really pleased you replied and it was so lovely to hear about your encounter with these species. I have never seen them yet, in flesh and feather, but one day I might be lucky like you - I just hope I recognise them!  And it's great that you recognise the lovely pesky Reed Warbler. I saw for the first time a few weeks ago a flock of Sand Martins - they are tiny little beauties.

Best wishes,

Starlinga x