Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hi, I think mine is a Riband Wave. Got a photo of it. I will put it on here soon. I found it in kitchen to. Of Butterfly hunting today.

• At long last a reasonably decent vid of my Hummingbird Hawk Moth which is visiting very regularly just now ... fascinating creature!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Brilliant video & lucky you,Wendy. Worra proboscis.

• Thanks EB ... even more amazing was that at about six o'clock this evening I found one of these beautiful moths in my lounge frantically trying to find it's way out!!  Naturally I grabbed my cam but it was zig-zagging to & fro so fast I couldn't grab a pic, so I threw open the door & it quickly made an escape!!

Then saw one again on the Buddleia at about 20.15 ... as you say, I am so lucky!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• On a less cheerful note, I found this poor specimen just inside my lounge doors, a victim of the recent fire incident I suspect ... can anyone tell me what it was?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, sorry to hear about that fire, it must have been quite frightening even if nobody was hurt. Lets hope the spider didn't get a firemans boot on it!

Your moth was a Silver-Y, aptly named, & as you say it may have been inhalation of smoke. They often flutter around flowers in the day.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks for ID HinNH, now I know what to look for in the garden!

Do you happen to know what this caterpillar is?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, would that be Iris's that your mystery wriggler is on? I wonder if it's the caterpillar of the Iris Sawfly (Rhadinoceraea micans)? Perhaps have a look here before you make your mind up.

My bird photos HERE

• I hope it's OK if I add some shots I've taken of Moths, Hazel? In any case, I blame you for getting me tramping up and down windbeaten fields trying to get photo's of them.!! There's a few here from the last few days and my head is numb from trying to find ID's for them all. I'll say what I think they may be but I'm in no way certain about this. I suspect that other than the first one the others will probably be day flying Moths. First up is what I think could be...

Dark Arches  (Apamea monoglypha)?

Chimney Sweeper (Odezia atrata)

Latticed Heath (Chiasmia clathrata)?

This next pair are a bit of a quandary. They look to be Five-spot Burnets (Zygaena trifolii) but according to my book they shouldn't be as far noth as this, (although depending on what you readonline they seem to be spreading rapidly northward). Another option would be Narrow-bordered Five-spot Burnet (Zygaena lonicerae) but in all honesty I don't know, and I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

Yellow Shell (Camptogramma bilineata)?

Some type of Carpet Moth?

A bit blurred at the back of this one, but I'm not sure if it's a different variation of the Yellow Shell?

A type of Wainscot, but that's as close as I can get.

Final one, but I haven't a clue what this one is.

My bird photos HERE

• Paul A said:

Hi Wendy, would that be Iris's that your mystery wriggler is on? I wonder if it's the caterpillar of the Iris Sawfly (Rhadinoceraea micans)? Perhaps have a look here before you make your mind up.

Spot on again PA, thank you so much!!  I did read on the NR website that it had been ID'd as Drinker Moth larva but bore no resemblance to all the Google images I subsequently look at ... other than it was long & thinnish! Lol. Away now to let them know that I know someone clever! Ha ha

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr