Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

• Hi Hazel,great to hear that the move went well and you're settled in enough to continue with your survey. Some incredible moths. Thanks for sharing!

• Hi Hazel, It's good to know that the move went well, and it's great that you're up and running with your Moths again.

Paul

• Thanks all for your interest. I had been worried that this wasn't such a good area for moths but it's been amazing so far. Our hot spell is still continuing & these are some of the new ones from recent traps. There were a few "rare" ones too, must have been that hot wind from the South!

This is a rare Crambidae, a one shot wonder which flew off as soon as the flash went, I think it' s a  Diasemiopsis ramburialis,

a Feathered thorn,

a Red-green Carpet,

this was a Gem (& rare too so a real Gem)

a Flounced Chestnut (I love these names)

a Beaded Chestnut,

a Large Ranunculus

& this really pretty moth, a rare visitor from Africa, Hypena lividalis,

a Neglected Rustic,

Dewicks Plusia (& that's it's Common name!)

& a few micro-moths, Oecophoridae Oecophorinae Borkhausenia nefrax,

a Lesser Wax Moth

& a Tineidae Tineinae Monopis monachella

Thanks for looking, Ive just hit the 350 moths species for the year, amazing! It just goes on & on........ 

• Well done on reaching 350 moth species, thats a fantastic count, I would never have thought it possible to trap so many different varieties and how beautiful they are;  the warm weather is certainly bringing in some brilliant species and also those rarer moths.  

• Wow Hazel you've done so well, your collection just goes to show the wonder of evolution and of creatures adapting perfectly to their environment. I noticed that one moth was called 'Ranunculus' and thinking back to my biology lessons that is the Latin name for the Buttercup so I'm guessing there's a connection?

• Thanks Hazy & John. I've been amazed at the moths & just when you think they are slowing down, you get another good lot (last night). I'm not sure about the Ranunculus connection John, it's not the noted foodplant of the caterpillars, but the names are so varied I gave up trying to understand them ages ago. LOL

• A few more new moths from the last few weeks, mainly the end of October as since November started the weather has gone belly-up & the moths aren't around much, that's when we get a dry night!

This one is aptly named Streak,

a November moth, also aptly named,

a Mallow (not a Marsh-mallow!)

a Green-brinbled Crescent, which I thought deserved 2 photos as it's so pretty,

a miro moth which is an Agonopterix species,

a visitor to the wine/sugar rope, a Grey Shoulder-knot

& a caterpillar spotted on the road, we've already had the adult, a Sorcerer,

& finally a tricky one which I'm tossing up between Red-line quaker & Yellow-line quaker, neither is spot-on & I can't seem to find the exact criteria, any ideas anyone?

Thanks for looking!

• It's certainly getting near the end of the season of moths. There are a few old favourites who turn up every time, but just when i was thinking of stopping for the winter a real treasure arrived. We'd had a warm southerly breeze & in the morning there was a moth not seen in Charente maritime before. It was a real bonus! No English name but this is Agrochola blidaensis (normally found on the Med & in Spain)

A plain brown job really, but there you go.

We have also had a few other newbies & one trap had 3 caterpillars in???? Not sure of the ID on them,

This caterpillar was on the wall, a cream spot Tiger,

& another moth, a Mottled Umber

that's probably the last update for this year, Merry Xmas all you moth lovers!!

• Nice to see you still getting a few moths, Hazel. It's funny how the rare ones are not always the most glamorous looking but good to see nevertheless.

How are you getting on with your new camera? Have you had a chance to take any photos with it yet?

• Thanks TJ. I love the little brown jobs, bird or moth!

The new camera was for OH & he's doing quite well with it, but like a lot of new things it takes a bit of getting used to. We still aren't getting out as much as we would like, due to too many DIY jobs & cold dull weather for the last week or so. I'm going to try & sort out a few photos in the next few days.