Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• ETA, meant to add that yes it was on a reed in the Dragonfly pond at Monkton NR!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    Away now to let them know that I know someone clever!

I knew what it was the instant I saw it, even down to the latin name.!! .........ok........I had seen your post, looked everywhere and failed to find anything remotely like it, so I gave up. A few hours later I stumbled across it entirely by accident when I was looking for something completely different.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Hahahaha ha PA ... 12/10 for honesty!  We'll keep that confession amongst ourselves shall we??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Fantastic set of moths Paul. You'll be leaving your outside light on next & creeping around in the dark to see what you've got!!

The carpet is a fabulous Silver-ground Carpet & the last one is a Brown china mark. The Wainscot is a "Common" & the Burnet is probably a Six Spot Burnet with the bottom "lump" 2 spots joined together. But I'm not great on Burnets.

I've changed the thread to "Mostly Moths" now we've a few more people posting. It's really great to see your moths so keep them coming.  

Best wishes

• Thank for the ID's Hazel, much appreciated. I do have one more that I can't find a lookalike for in my book. Any help in identifying it would also be very much appreciated. Quite a small one this time.

My bird photos HERE

• I think it's a micro moth "Timothy Tortrix" Aphelie paleana. However it has a twin sibling called Aphelia unitana & the 2 can only be distguished by disection of it's genitalia. It's what I commonly call a b***s job!

Best wishes

• Ha ha, norty, norty!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Is this a Burnished Brass Moth??  Not my pic but seen on NR as I arrived but didn't hang around for me!!

Copyright Peter

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Looks good to me Wendy, I saw my first one this year & they are all sorts of colours depending on the light, really Brassy as the name suggests.

Best wishes

• Paul A said:
    Another option would be Narrow-bordered Five-spot Burnet (Zygaena lonicerae) but in all honesty I don't know, and I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

I have today found a caterpillar of this moth at Monkton NR ... at first it was mis-identified as Mullein moth caterpillar but I didn't think so especially as I had just been feeding one in the garden!  Trawled through copious amounts of images on all sorts of sites & finally found it ... eureka!  Then thought what a coincidence as I remembered you mentioning it

Two slightly blurry images (plus one finger!)

I felt overjoyed at IDing it!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr