Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks for all your comments & glad you're enjoying them.

Devonotter, you'll have to give it a go soon. The moon isn't too good at the moment but I'm getting 37-40 species in each session with about 70 moths. There are new one's coming all the time despite me doing it every other day! Our weather has been windy too but temperatures overnight have been around 10°C.

I love those little moths Edge, there look to be about 30 on that flower-head! Is the flower a Cocksfoot, how big is it?

Best wishes

• It`s just a large dandelion head,Hazel.The moths were about 3mm long. Only one at the outside light last night,a Bright-line Brown-eye.Things`ll be better at the end of next week,I believe.  Edit. What I wouldn`t do or give for a plume moth. They`ve cleaned up the lovely & overgrown cemetery next door,turning it into a wasteland. Grrrrrr. I`m going to reintroduce bindweed etc.etc.  ;-)

• I know what you mean Edge, we wander around all the local lanes & a couple of weeks ago we were remarking on the lovely variety of grasses & flowers & insects on them, & then they came & cut the edges. The trouble is they cut it back too far & the banks as well, I'll have to try to speak to the Maire, but it'll probably fall on deaf ears!

I don't think your bindweed will be long growing back looking at the stuff in our garden.

Best wishes

• Just caught up - brilliant pics. It's a real pleasure to see all the different spp shown so clearly. I have a friend who's just getting into lepidopterology (!) - must point her to this thread.

• Thanks Aiki, I'm trying to convert the world to the beauty of moths. I do a trap every 2 days at the moment & there are loads that come for just one night & then move on, it's fascinating. I love going down at 5 in the morning & seeing something different, it compensates for the early start.

Best wishes

• Hi Hazel. I've managed to catch up with your lovely Moths again. You've now got me actively scanning the undergrowth as I'm out and about.!! I hadn't realised that micro moths were so....micro.!! Anyway, they're all lovely but out of the last bunch I would have to say that the Lime Hawkmoth is my favourite...or maybe the Pebble Hook-tip....or...

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks Paul, they're coming thick & fast at the moment.

Your Avon SSS was amazing, I splashed it all over (as they used to say in the adverts) & didn't get a single bite, in fact even their dog didn't bite me this time. I was able to buy it through the French Amazon & the owners of the estate are looking at trying it too.

Best wishes

• Glad the SSS done the trick, Hazel. I found that it had the added benefit of leaving your skin nice and soft, not that that really matters to me....obviously.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• I heard your Skin was soft as a babys Paul!!!!!!

It's time for a run through of the last months new moths. I'm doing the trap every other day, plus trips out to other gardens, so it's keeping me busy. I seem to get my regulars & then 'one nighters' who only stop once & they are usually the really special one's. So it justify's the regular traps & early mornings!

In order from the end of May a 'Clepsis pallida' micro moth,

a Purple Bar

a Brown Silver line

another micro moth "Brown Oak Tortrix"

a Mottled Rustic

a gorgeous Burnished Brass, which my photos don't really do justice too, the colour refects were amazing so I'll put 2 in,

a Variegated Golden Tortrix, also a micro moth,

a Common Marbled Carpet

Cherry-bark moth, another micro, I think they are so pretty,

Although the big one's are nice too, this is an Eyed Hawkmoth,

& these are my Moth of the month, I had a female first & then a male & then yesterday I had the 2 which I've photographed together, Reed Leopards, they are so unusual I think they are great,

a Waved Black

another Tortrix, Red-barred this time,

an Indian Meal moth, found in the house & probably came out of a bag of flour!

a striking Purple Tiger

a rare Crambidae "Anania verbascalis"

Blairs Mocha (named by Tony!!)

a Clouded Brindle

a Lunar-spotted Pinion,

a Dusky Sallow,

a Pyralidae "Nyctegretis lineana"

a gorgeous Canary-shouldered Thorn

& to finish a Jersey Emerald

& a last micro moth, a Conobathra repandana,

Sorry some of the photos are up-side down, I'll see if I can edit them, otherwise you'll have to stand on your heads!!

For those of you interested in stats, I'm over 470 moths now for home traps & with the aways it's well over 500! Wow! Thanks for looking.

Best wishes

• Amazing Hazel, love the Eyed Hawk, used to see them a lot when I was a child. Not seen one for many years... Should get the moth trap back next week to have another play. Nights are warming up know so should see a few different moths appearing. Keeeeep trapping.