Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• (first reply disappeared) ... gorgeous looking Moths to start us off H & as there are no local events near me I am currently looking at lamps & mesh baskets for my garden ... is your camping lamp a lantern type or circular tent one?

Do you see Springwatch over in Gironde?  MH-G made me laugh with his 'sugared' socks pegged on the line!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• edgebander said:
    p.s  Please send me a white plume,Hazel,God,anybody. :-)

Perhaps I should try & find some eggs to send you, the last one I saw was being eaten by a Spider!

Best wishes

• Hi Wendy, We get the free to air programmes by satellite & would have watched if I'd known moths were on it but my sister-in-law mentioned it to OH, they know I'm moth mad. I'd love to have seen his socks too!!

The lamp I'm suggesting is a McKinley round one which lights up when you pull the top up. Cost about 10 pounds on promo! It's very bright but not a long range. However it's better than nowt! Any bright light will be good. The sheet is better if it's cotton as it reflects the light.

I'm off again in a few minutes for another night in the woods. Oooh!

P.S. Check out my old thread here http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx?pi2132219858=2 for my original moth trap.

Best wishes

• Thanks for all that info H, can get one from Amazon for £6.99 & a laundry basket from Argos for a fiver!  Pleased to go back for your pics though as I didn't remember about the slots you cut & pegged ... my little brain was pondering about how they got inside given that the lid zipped shut!! Lol. I could have an actinic tube though as I have a pukka exterior power socket & could put the whole gubbins under garden brolly in case of rain ... watch this space!!

Was also good to go back & marvel again at all those fabulous critters you have had visit!

That laundry basket is same design as my Butterfly house only 10 times larger for a third of the price!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I'm thinking this is perhaps a Diamond-back Moth - Plutella xylostella- but not entirely sure. Photo taken at the coast. Approx 8 - 10mm in length.

My bird photos HERE

• Great pic PA, is this the one MH-G featured on Springwatch last week?  Come over from France I believe (must be strong swimmers or maybe Eurostar), clouds of them in my garden before the wind & rain, thought they were midges at first!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Great pic Paul, we've hoards here too though, so they haven't all migrated!

Good luck with the moth trap Wendy.

Best wishes

• WendyBartter said:
    is this the one MH-G featured on Springwatch last week?

I must have missed that on Springwatch last week. Forgot it was on Monday, working late Tuesday, nodded off and missed the lot Wenesday, caught around 70% of the show on Thursday (hooray) before nodding off again and missing the end.!! :-(

I'm quite bad for nodding off when the TV is on, I've seen the start of lots of great movies though.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• That's terrific picture, Paul. I think it probably was the one featured on Springwatch although my short term memory is poor.

I'm quite good at nodding off too.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Cheers Tony. The nodding off only seems to apply to the TV screen and not to the PC screen. I remember once when I ….zzzzzz….zzzzzzz…..zzzzzzz …..

My bird photos HERE