My Moths

We are doing a moth survey from of our garden this year for a study in the département, but while waiting for the moth traps to arrive I've been leaving an outside light on & photographing all the visitors. Since then I decided to start the "sugar trap". I cooked up a litre of cheap wine & 1 Kg of sugar & put 2 natural ropes in the mixture & left to soak for a few days.

Then last night I suspended the ropes between 2 trees in the orchard (photo taken this morning)

Then while Ron was watching the Golf on TV, I was nipping in & out to see if there were any moths having a tipple. The first time I went out there were 2 who stayed until I went to bed & were gone at 5am when I went out to see if there were any more. I was really chuffed as I didn't think I'd get much.

This is a Herald :

This is Angle Shades

You can see they are both eating, I only hope they didn't have a hangover this morning!! I've left the ropes out so maybe I'll get something else tonight.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hi all, I've just read the latest Blog on Loch Garten ospreys promoting the recording of moths throughout the UK (& Europe), so if you're not yet an adict, have a look at it HERE

The more that do it the better!!

Best wishes

• Thanks BW. I never started on butterflies until about 6 years ago & moths the last 3 or 4 years, but like you I had a lovely book as a child "Butterflies & Moths shown to the children" with colour plates. My dad always called out the names of the common butterflies when we were out walking & some of it must have stuck. This trap thing has been a real eye-opener, I count the days off until I can do another capture!

Best wishes

• We had a couple of warmer nights at the weekend so I set up the trap for the Saturday in case the weather turned bad for the Sunday, it's tricky with such unsettled weather. I had a record session of 67 moths, 35 species of which 13 were new for this year. I'll just run through a few of the best,

A Cream-spot Tiger

A Light Emerald,

A Brussels Lace (lovely name isn't it)

a Many-lined Moth (one of my favourites of the night)

a Grey Dagger

a Beautiful Hook-Tip, yes that's it's name & well named too, my favourite, definately,

a Cream-bordered Pea, rather an odd name, it's not pea shaped, EDIT 5/10 I got this totally wrong it's a Green Oak Tortrix!!

a Vine's Rustic (I think but not 100%)

& finally a few micro moths, this one was well marked, a Bramble-shoot moth,

a "Hedya pruniana" (possible)

& a Celypha cespitana (possible)

They are very tricky these micro moths, but they all deserve a mention!!

Roll on next week-end & the next moth night.

Best wishes

• Another lovely set Hazel;   wow !  can't believe you caught 67 moths !!  its unbelievable there are so many different species of them, its opened a new world to me  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• love the tiger moths Hazel

Great thread

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• I'm with Hazy in saying that I'd never have thought there were so many different species of Moths out there. I find it quite amazing that you know so many of them. Great pics by the way, I can't pick a favourite though, they're all beautiful in their own ways.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Fabulous Hazel - it's fascinating to see so many different species of moths in such detail.  I'm going to be needing your expertise soon - got a couple of day flying moths on my travels yesterday - very common ones I'm sure, there were so many of them about, but I'll be posting them up for id later when I get time!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Thanks all. I can't claim to know many Paul, I've a rough idea on the families & where to look, but it took most of a day to sort them all & label the new ones. I still have to doublecheck even the one's I think I know as there are lots that are very similar. However I enjoy the challenge so I'm not complaining!

Best wishes

• I am improvising, no red wine in the house but a bottle of ready made mulled wine and a good kilo of sugar currently brewing at last

Cin J

• Sounds like a good party at your house tonight Germain, all moths welcome!!

I managed another session with the Ikea trap last night (too many storms at night recently), I photographed 51 moths which I'm trawling through at the moment. It looks like there may be quite a few newbies! Will post tomorrow, if they're sorted by then.

Best wishes