An Unusual Visitor(updated)

Hi Folks. As I left the house this morning to take Mrs A to work there was a lot of commotion from some Crows and Gulls who were circling around the house. I walked down the garden for a better view and was puzzled to see an unusual visitor perched on top of the roof of the house. I dashed in to get the camera and took a few shots from the front of the house.

It turned it's head and I was thinking to myself 'surely I can't be looking at a Kookaburra. I mentioned this to Mrs A who then said,"Oh, I forget to tell you that a Kookaburra has escaped from the local Zoo.".....

A few more pics as he turned his head to look around..

We did phone the Zoo who advised us to try to lure it down with cat meat or the likes, but the Gulls and Crows eventually drove it off. A surprisngly large bird, probably as tall as a Carrion Crow but it seemed much bulkier. A strange addition to my list of garden visitors. Just when you think you've seen it all.....

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• That must have been amazing to witness Paul,  its not every day you'll see a Kookaburra  lol    

Regards, Hazel 

• What a sight that must have been, Paul!  I have only ever seen one in a zoo.

Hazel, thanks for the short video and the wonderful noise!

Edgebander, Even without your mention of it, now I will have that song running through my head for the rest of the night--I, too, learned it as a child back in the Precambrian...'Kookaburra up in the old gum tree; merry, merry king of the bush is he; laugh, Kookaburra, laugh Kookaburra; gay your life must be!'  That was back when there was only one definition of the word 'gay'--LOL!

Kind regards, Ann

• It was quite strange at first Ann. He had his back to me to begin with and I was thinking....”Dark Gull?? No... too small for a Lesser Black-backed.” I caught a slight glimpse of his beak from one side and 'Heron' popped into my head for some reason. All these thoughts passed within a few seconds and it was only when he fully turned around that 'Kookaburra' arrived in my head. A really strange experience, but admittedly I've been smiling all day and singing the Kookaburra song as well. It's also probably a good thing that he's back safe and being well fed and looked after.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Paul, What a thrill to see such an unusual bird and on your house roof!  And who does not love a happy ending?!  Agreed, probably a good thing they recaptured the adventurous Kookaburra--he probably could not have survived in the unfamiliar outside world.  And I can well understand your smiling all day--perhaps you can arrange with the zoo to release him next January for the Big Garden Birdwatch (after cutting his rations for a few days beforehand so he is easy to re-catch again!)

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks Birdie. I may just mention that on my CV.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• What an amazing bird to see! What a shock that must have been! I'd have thought I was hallucinating! I love their loud cackling 'laugh'!

• Thanks Ella. I do have to admit that it was a weird experience. It's just not what you'd expect to see.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

•  This was just sent to us on a balcony in Barking!

• Wow !!!   seems Kookie just can't stay at home  lol  wonderful pic.

Regards, Hazel 

• Not satisfied with trouncing us at cricket the Aussies are now sending over their birds to laugh at us. What an amazing sight to be greeted with when you draw back the curtains.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream