LONDON ZOO - Part 3 (Birds)

Now it's the birds turn so have grouped everything from Penguins and Pelicans to Red Bishops  !!!       I cannot ID all but will do my best with others ......... feel free to correct mistakes as it is the only way I can learn !    

Some of these photos are not great as indoor birds were in heated and humid environs and often behind wire enclosures so hard to get good images.,  however, here goes ............

Pekin Robin

Mindanao  (Bleeding Heart Dove)

Hooded Pita is next  .....

Toucan

Now I need help with the next ones ..................

West Nile Red Bishop ?  ..........

female West Nile Red Bishop  ?

back with more birds once I get these posted !

A few Owls now but again, I can only ID a couple so feel free to offer up names for them :)

..........sorry these pics won't be great as most were way back in their caged pens and hard to get a decent pic ......

Tawny Owl first ...

Frogmouth ........must terrible pic being right at the back of his pen

now an Eagle Eared Owl - possibly ?

and another gorgeous Owl .......but I can't give you an ID

another couple in need of ID

now the flamboyant Pelicans   lol

pure exhibitionists   !!!!!

and I thought this next looked more like a stuffed toy with his fur fabric material   !!!

I'm sorry there are so many photos,  perhaps I should have put birds into two groups, however, bear with me  LOL

Penguins,  I think these are the Humboldt species

believe me.........there is a penguin here somewhere .........perhaps doing morning aerobics ?

It's been a hard day at the zoo so it turned into Snooze time for this little penguin  :)

Sorry !    I found some birds I had missed out ...............  here they are to save another thread ...

Bald Ibis   (many thanks for the ID TJ) 

This fellow was about to enjoy a rodent dinner :(    possibly another type of Ibis ?

thanks again, got TJ working overtime !     Sacred Ibis it is !

Ewwwww :(

there were a lot of birds to feed so hope they had plenty of rat traps   lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Did it not occur to you that I might have liked a Pekin Robin? You might at least have asked for one in the Zoo shop! I'll have to have a word with my man on the inside...

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• LOL MC,   they are rather cute !   I'll put it on Santa's list next year for your but I'm not sure what BRII would make of it ?

Regards, Hazel 

• I see you sneaked in a few more photos there Hazel! Lovely Owls.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• yes, I did see hummingbirds but they were so quick it was hard to get them in focus ...... here's one just for you  - but it should be on bad pics really !

It was fairly humid inside the tropical birds and butterfly areas so camera lens kept misting up;  I had a lens cloth but it was an impossible task as it was pretty cold outside and the lens misted up instantly the minute we went into the indoor exhibits.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Alan,  I tried so hard to get good photos of all the Owls as I know you love them but they were hanging so far back in their cages I couldn't even see what I had taken until I got the images back home and lightened them up !    

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazy, You have done so well with your owl photographs. I do know what you mean about them staying to the back of their cages but you are such a good photographer. i love to see the penguins. A lovely set of photographs.

• You're too kind Brenda,  I really wish I could go back and spend a brighter/sunnier day with more time to re-take a lot of these but it was lovely to see them all.

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely photos of exotic birds, Hazy. Don't ask me what they are though. The only one I might know is the one you called "a vulture of some sort". I think it might be a Bald Ibis which I've seen in the wild in Morocco but no guarantees.

Aiki will probably sort you out with the others. It's years since I've been to London Zoo. I really must go again.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Oh thanks TJ,  that ID makes sense as I think other Ibis were nearby and your lovely photo confirms it too.   Cheers for that :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Well done on a wonderful selection of exotic birds,I know how dificult it is to photograph birds in enclosures but you've done a great job,love the stuffed pelican Lol

Terry

cheers  Terry

my photo's here