Magpies attacking blackbird nests

There are 2 magpies living in our area, I have not know them to be in this area before. On Tuesday a blackbird nest in our garden was attacked by them and the babies were killed. The following day a blackbird nest 2 gardens down the road was attacked and then today another blackbird nest a few gardens up the road was attacked. I am really very upset and wondering how blackbirds will ever be able to breed in this area again. What can be done? Also, o magpies attack other types of bird nest or just blackbirds?

• I saw a Magpie get it's butt kicked by Blackbirds this morning - due to it trying to get down into the garden where my neighbour must have some BB nests.

As soon as the magpie landed on the house roof Blackbirds came from every direction and mobbed it - There were at least 6 of them, dive bombing it from all angles.  It did go down into the garden, and the ensuing squabble that I heard in the garden (didn't see it due to the fence) sounded epic.

The Magpie made off in the end (empty beaked)  and the Blackbirds shepherded it well away.

Amazing to watch.

I also watched a bullying Magpie defeated by a baby wood pigeon a couple of days ago in my back garden. The baby or squab had been in the trees for a couple of nights - it must have fledged  and followed its parents into the trees for food and it's been sleeping there (in the Magpies sleeping spot)

Well Mr. Magpie took great exception to baby woodie sitting in his tree and started going at it from all angles, pecking, head butting... These birds are so sly and are cheating, unfair fighters.

Little woody just kept flapping the black and white bully with its wing - and beat it off eventually.

Again brilliant to watch.

Small victories for the weak :)

I just started a Flickr feed  recently (Although I've had an account since 2011) 
    Please take a look and tell me what you think.

• Greenbird,it always amazes me that these so called experts who have never looked after a hedge more than about 10 yards long in their garden know more than farmers who have gained the knowledge of what makes the best hedge from probably at least 10 generations of looking after miles of hedges.Of course some choose to ignore that knowledge and spoil hedges but like all things in life there are good and bad in all walks of life.

Farmers need consideration from bird watchers in the sense that farmers are asked to trim hedges every 2nd year and that is to leave berries for birds but it is without doubt in farmers opinions to the detriment of the hedge.

Simple fact is the more times a hedge is cut the thicker it gets hence most garden hedges I would suggest are cut probably 3 times a year,this is not practical or worth the extra cost on farms but without doubt cutting each year is best for the hedge and also cost efficiency as ironically it takes so much longer to cut the hedge when done every two years that the cost is a bit higher.  

• I have had the same problem with Magpies attacking Blackbirds in the nest site conifer tree. I have not looked to see if any eggs are in the nest and I have not seen the Birds going into the tree .However I still have 3/4 blackbirds foraging in my garden. So still hopeful

Regards

John

• I get about 3 or 4 Magpies visiting my garden everyday. So far I haven't seen them attacking any other birds (and I hope I don't have to witness that). I also have at least 7 or 8 Blackbirds in the garden every day. I've seen 2 poor Blackbirds being caught in recent months - one by a cat and the other by a Sparrowhawk. Not nice to witness but not much you can do! I'm glad that I still get a lot of visiting Blackbirds though. Despite all the predators they seem to be thriving around here, I'm pleased to say.

• Well done blackbirds! There's a pair nesting in a neighbour's very overgrown hedge and they seem pretty feisty - especially the female. She's worked out that I'm no threat and a good source of food, so she will quite happily come within about 5 feet of me. Lovely!

• I appreciate this thread is about magpies taking blackbirds from the nest but does anyone know whether they will take fledged blackbirds?
    We have magpies and young black birds that are quite a good size so I wonder weather they're in danger?
  • The blackbirds in our garden make a right racket whenever they see a magpie so we can usually get out there and shoo it away.

One of the magpies that frequent the area is completely bald in its breast area and has been for several weeks now.
  • I live 5 floors up and have been watching 2 magpies build a huge nest. They have just been attacked by 6 other magpies. I think they have beaten them off. A sight to behold