Wild swimming (any swimming not in an artificial pool), is an exhilarating and unique way to experience our natural places. 

You have to know your limits and take precautions (see this article on the UK’s Wild Swimming website). But, some rare incidents aside, there are millions who enjoy our seas, lakes and water ways during the brief British summer for a quick dip. 

This was the video a friend of mine made of our trip to Portland Bill, Dorset. You have to bear in mind that he's been going on holiday here since he was a baby, so he knows exactly where and when it is safe to jump. Please don’t try this unless you are similarly qualified.

You can see a certain amount of panic when I jump at 2:11, perhaps not something to do on a day to day basis, I enjoyed finding the spider crab at the end though. They come up to the shallows to breed at this time of year and can be quite tasty, apparently!

So, that being said, a paddle on a designated beach might be more conducive to a relaxing time. Last week. floating in the sea at Brighton while the sun set was a definite summer highlight.

Wild swimming inland is a bit of an enigma to me but I’d love to hear about any of your favourite spots!

Parents
  • When I was a boy (many years ago!) my friends and I used to go swimming in lochs and lochans. We always enjoyed it much more then swimming in municipal pools. There was no smell of chlorine and your eyes didn't get sore and red-rimmed! And if you swallowed any water it didn't taste horrible. We would also paddle about in burns (streams to you English!) and sliding down waterfalls on the rare occasions when the weather was warm enough!

You did have to be careful though as there were spots that were very cold and even in lochs there are hidden currents! But as I am now 60 I obviously avoided the pitfalls!

I would recommend outdoor swimming  be it in sea or fresh water, so invigorating!

Birds for ever!

Comment
  • When I was a boy (many years ago!) my friends and I used to go swimming in lochs and lochans. We always enjoyed it much more then swimming in municipal pools. There was no smell of chlorine and your eyes didn't get sore and red-rimmed! And if you swallowed any water it didn't taste horrible. We would also paddle about in burns (streams to you English!) and sliding down waterfalls on the rare occasions when the weather was warm enough!

You did have to be careful though as there were spots that were very cold and even in lochs there are hidden currents! But as I am now 60 I obviously avoided the pitfalls!

I would recommend outdoor swimming  be it in sea or fresh water, so invigorating!

Birds for ever!

Children
No Data