I love where I work. But being a Web Editor means I don’t get the chance to get outside for my job – so I have to get my nature fix in other ways.

To remedy this, I’ve just bought a new bike. It takes me just twenty minutes to cycle in each morning with the fresh Bedfordshire air filling my lungs. It means I’ve already seen some great wildlife before I’ve even turned on my computer. It’s doing wonders for my fitness too!

Skylark serenade

This week I’ve been serenaded by skylarks, screeched at by jays and ticked off by blackbirds.

The skylarks in particular have been in fine voice – spring is on the way! Less than five minutes into my ride I’m in the open fields where the males zoom up into the sky, hover almost imperceptibly before singing their hearts out with their uplifting tune. If there’s a better way to start the day, then I’m yet to find it.

Skylark hovering above field. Image by Chris Gomersall (www.rspb-images.com)

The way back isn’t dull either. As dusk descends foxes sneak across my path and delve into dark bushes, hiding as I wheeze past. A little owl is a regular on an old oak, scarred by lightning, whilst a buzzard carefully scours his territory, looking for both intruders and potential mates.

I’d neither see nor hear any of this if I commuted by bus. I’ve turned the everyday activity of getting to work into a great way to see more wildlife.

How do you connect with nature?

I’m very lucky that there’s a not too muddy off-road track into work, but there are loads of ways we all connect with nature every day.

Maybe a stroll through the local fields with the dog? A lunchtime walk to the local park, or simply sitting down with a brew and watching the birds flock to your feeders? However you do it, why not share it with everyone by leaving a comment below...

For more on our science, check out the RSPB Centre for Conservation Science web pages.

Parents
  • watching the different birds at and around the feeder whilst drinking my coffee.. Robins, sparrows, beautiful coloured feral pigeons, wood pigeons, collared doves, great tits, blackbirds and even a grey squirrel. This week there were a few gold finches feeding on the seeds in the dried flower heads in the garden.

Comment
  • watching the different birds at and around the feeder whilst drinking my coffee.. Robins, sparrows, beautiful coloured feral pigeons, wood pigeons, collared doves, great tits, blackbirds and even a grey squirrel. This week there were a few gold finches feeding on the seeds in the dried flower heads in the garden.

Children
No Data