Not tidying. Now there's something that comes easily to me! As my long-suffering Mum and girlfriend will no doubt attest to! It’s not that I don’t prefer to be tidy, but there’s always something more interesting to do. However, when it comes to wildlife gardening, being slow to tidy is actually a good thing.

Take the natural approach

Leave your seedheads and vegetation to die back naturally - they provide food and shelter for wildlife. We've got loads of advice to help you make your garden, balcony or windowbox more wildlife-friendly.

How about leaving your berry-laden trees and shrubs unpruned? Migrant birds such as blackcaps and other warblers are munching their way through vast swathes of them as I write. They’re vital to help fuel their long and perilous journeys south.

Blackbirds and thrushes will enjoy the bounty too. If the birds don’t find the seeds and berries now, they well do at some point during the winter, particularly if it’s a cold one.

Berries, Image by Just Karen (http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouspixels/)

Don’t forget the little guys

Insects need somewhere to hibernate. So in my tiny garden, I’ve left hollow plant stems up against the fences. These should provide somewhere safe and warm for ladybirds and lacewings to spend the winter. Hedgehogs too need somewhere to hibernate, so why not leave that pile of leaves and logs in the corner you’ve been meaning to tidy up?

What do you leave out for your garden wildlife? Do you have any tips? Is there anything you’ve recycled to use as winter wildlife home? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

Have a good weekend, and don’t forget, no tidying your garden now! Maybe I'll tidy my room instead...

Ps. Check out Homes for wildlife to get tailored wildlife gardening advice. It’s easy to do, and free too!

For more on our science, check out the RSPB Centre for Conservation Science web pages.

Parents Comment Children
No Data