At this time of year, millions of birds across the country will be house hunting, ready to set up home and raise a family in the spring. So if you’ve never built a nest box before, why not give it a go this weekend - after all, it is National Nest Box Week!

There’s a bewildering array of different nest box designs out there, so how do you know which one to choose? Well, this really depends on what species of bird you want to attract.

Read our online guide and you'll find out everything you need to know about what nest box to choose and how to make one, as well as where to site it.

Great tit photo by gynti_46 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7891209@N04/3728646517/in/photostream/)

If you fancy having a go at making a box yourself, but think you might need someone on hand to help, why not pop along to one of our reserves this weekend and take part in a National Nest Box Week event – there are lots taking place up and down the country.

If your carpentry skills aren’t up to much, never fear, we’re offering 10% off all ready-made nest boxes from our online shop until 22 February and a FREE nest box if you become a member before 31 March – so there’s never been a better time to help your garden birds set up home.

Not only will you be making a real difference to garden birds by providing a safe place for them to rear their young, putting up a nest box means you’ll also be able to see birds up close and get a really great insight into their lives.

If you see any odd behaviour or peculiar goings on in your new nest box, let us know - we’d love to hear your stories and might just have the answer!

Parents
  • I made 3 tripple nest boxes last year but only one two of the nine nest boxes were used. One by a tree sparrow and one by a great/blue tit. moved one of the boxes this year so hoping for better results. have about 20 boxes and feeders scattered all over the garden. Wish i could get a remote camera into one of the boxes. Don't have the skill. We sit in our upstairs conservatory and watch the birds every day. wonderful entertainment from nature.  

Comment
  • I made 3 tripple nest boxes last year but only one two of the nine nest boxes were used. One by a tree sparrow and one by a great/blue tit. moved one of the boxes this year so hoping for better results. have about 20 boxes and feeders scattered all over the garden. Wish i could get a remote camera into one of the boxes. Don't have the skill. We sit in our upstairs conservatory and watch the birds every day. wonderful entertainment from nature.  

Children
No Data